Sticking in 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the responses guys! Starting to make sense to me now :) In future I won't change unless I'm rolling. In Neutral...

Hopefully that hard knock I felt was just the transfer case going from full-time to part-time. And not something breaking.

I did read the section in the manual regarding 4WD, but don't remember it stating you should be rolling - only that it can be done on the move. Maybe I mis-read...

Anyway, thanks again for all the valuable input. I'll try shifting into full-time (and back) on my way home now

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick update...
Yesterday I put it into Full-time while rolling forward in Neutral. It still felt like it took a little while to engage properly in FT - felt a lot of rolling resistance when turning. A few jabs of the throttle seemed to get it things meshed up and engaged properly. Drove a few kms in 4wd with no problems.

Shifted in and out of 4wd a few times (all while rolling in N) and all seems well.

I guess what I never anticipated is the delay between engaging/disengaging. Thanks for the insight tjkj - clarified a lot.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Sebastien, basically my problem was that I was doing it wrong...
the tips in this thread told me everything I needed to know. I haven't had any further issues

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned you only have to shift the Transmission to neutral when going into 4LO...

Keeping moving while shifting is number 1 priority. (EVEN BACKWARDS! Go figure.) If you've been wheeling, you might understand that it's sometimes a ***** and a half to get her into 4LO because you can't move her while in Neutral, so you gotta roll backwards. But 4WD part time is fine to engage while you're in drive up to about 45/50. Whatever the book says but i don't do it above 45.