steering rack cradle bolt top of bushing worn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes there is an oil drip gutter/channel for when you slightly loosen the oil filter.
Once filter stops dripping, then I use a larger zip lock bag to drop the filter into.
I always cover the steering rack bushing before oil changes as well.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO the Poly are worth it. I've done 3 sets of OEM rubber over the years, and considering the hassle, get the poly bushings.
Temp fix, don't remember the size, but I did remove one of the steering rack bolts washer, then found correct washers by downsizing them until it fit nicely together.
Once the bolt was out up top, you could also try cutting away the excess rubber. Then fill up top with a good urethane level, allow to fully cure, & 1 washer, that may work too.
im tempted to try this urethane thing and then cover it during oil changes going forward

Orville

Reaction score
So I just did this on my '04 (3.7L 4WD Sport). Thanks a ton for the advice guys! This saved me a boatload of money and having to listen to more people I'm paying tell me it "just drives that way" (with 1/4" vertical play in the rack).

Anyway, a few things to add to what others have said:

- I managed it without even removing the tie rod ends (!) (mainly because I don't know how) or the intermediate shaft (ditto).

- I had to remove the diff breather and the funny chute thing under the oil filter to get more wiggle room. (I also removed the electric fan just because it's easier to get at stuff.)

- One thing that really helped: I turned the steering wheel 90 degrees from straight. It turns out that this means that when you try to "twist" or "rock" the rack away from you to get the bushings in and out (i.e., turn it like an axle), you are working with the u-joint on the intermediate shaft rather than against it. At least, on my car; individual results may vary.

- You can also pull on the wheels to move the rack left and right. If you pull them in opposite directions, it moves the rack up or down.

Anyway, it was a bit of a pain to maneuver but involved way less disassembly than I feared.

Cogscidawg

Reaction score
I was looking through the engine bay before an upcoming road trip on Monday and noticed that on the drivers side bolt that holds the steering rack to the cradle , the top of the rubber bushing is worn and sticking out.

My understanding is that it's usually the top piece that wears out and not the entire through bushing. I just replaced the entire steering rack 9 months ago and don't really want to/can't afford to do it again so soon.

Soo.. how irresponsible/dangerous is it to drive like it is currently? can I do a band-aid fix with some permatex gasket? can I pull out that bolt and put a rubber washer on top? what do you all suggest? I don't have time to drop the rack this weekend and have to travel on Monday.

You must be registered for see images attach

Are the rubber "washers" at the top, right under the bolt heads, part of the bushings? They are falling apart and coming out from under the rack bolts on my 03. I will be replacing the passenger side tie rod ends soon and may just replace the rack bushing while i'm at it.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the rubber "washers" at the top, right under the bolt heads, part of the bushings? They are falling apart and coming out from under the rack bolts on my 03. I will be replacing the passenger side tie rod ends soon and may just replace the rack bushing while i'm at it.
Yes they are. Focus on pushing the metal sleeve out of the bottom, I gave mine a couple taps from the top, then used a pry bar until I could grab them by hand and wiggle them out. Once the metal is removed the rubber comes out easily.

Latest posts

Staff online