Steering pump, high pressure hose, switch...etc questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx_599

Reaction score
Trying to put new rack, pump, and hoses in. Confused about some things...

The high pressure hose loops up near driver side head light in engine bay and back down to rack. The 2 flexible parts are connected by a U-shaped hard line near head light. It is hard for to see the U-shaped hard line in engine bay but it looked plain and simple at auto parts store.

HOWEVER, there was a choice between two versions of high pressure hose. One had a switch or something and the other did not? I do not believe they could get the switch version...dealership only maybe?

I cannot visualize the hard line near the headlight. Is there a switch of some sorts off the U-shaped hard line? What is the purpose of looping it up there? Why not just go from the pump to the rack? Again, the part at the auto store looked like nothing but a U-shaped hard line??

My parts appear to be stock in the engine bay. Some of the things mentioned in the forum member who posted this DIY did not match my stuff? ( http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48537 )
>>
-Disconnect sensor in power steering line that connects below the power steering pump just behind the pulley.
-Disconnect this same power steering line (16 mm / flange wrench recommended)
<<
I did not see where this sensor was???

also, I got a re-manufactured rack made by Cardone from NAPA. It has some bent hard lines. It kind of annoys me. Is it unreasonable to have them order me another one to exchange? It seems like those hard lines should have been replaced as part of the refurbishing process...no?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look down by the oil filter,there is the pressure hose coming from the bottom of the powersteering pump,if you have a sensor with a connector there you need the pressure hose for the sensor.CarQuest can get you the correct hose,get them here all day at CarQuest as they stock them here.

mx_599

Reaction score
Look down by the oil filter,there is the pressure hose coming from the bottom of the powersteering pump,if you have a sensor with a connector there you need the pressure hose for the sensor.CarQuest can get you the correct hose,get them here all day at CarQuest as they stock them here.

I removed the pressure hose from bottom of pump already. If there was a sensor, do you mean it is attached to the pump as well? Because nothing else was on pump other than the return hose.

1) sounds like I do not have sensor, do you agree?

2) what is purpose of sensor? Why some with/without it?

3) Do you know why high pressure hose loops around near head light with a hard line connecting two flexible ones? VS. just a direct flexible line from pump to rack...I do not get why this is done.

thanks for your help

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the pressure hose from bottom of pump already. If there was a sensor, do you mean it is attached to the pump as well? Because nothing else was on pump other than the return hose.

1) sounds like I do not have sensor, do you agree?

2) what is purpose of sensor? Why some with/without it?

3) Do you know why high pressure hose loops around near head light with a hard line connecting two flexible ones? VS. just a direct flexible line from pump to rack...I do not get why this is done.

thanks for your help
1-most likely not as the sensor is on the pressure hose,ps pump end.

2-when you turn the steering wheel it senses higher pressure which in turns increases the idle speed if your idling.

3-More fluid volume.Should see the see it for a '02 KJ as it's like 5 feet long with a extra length that runs along the cradle.

ndz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, I got a re-manufactured rack made by Cardone from NAPA. It has some bent hard lines. It kind of annoys me. Is it unreasonable to have them order me another one to exchange? It seems like those hard lines should have been replaced as part of the refurbishing process...no?

I replaced my steering rack about 6 months ago with a refurbished A1 Cardone. I too was very displeased with the quality. My steering wheel now has about 7 degrees of play. Like a dead zone where you turn the steering wheel and the tires dont start to turn yet. I rechecked all my work twice looking for some sort of mistake but found the rack itself to be at fault. I installed it myself and it was quite time consuming so I decided not to go through the hassle of returning it, however I have been avoiding buying cardone products if at all possible from then on.

mx_599

Reaction score
I replaced my steering rack about 6 months ago with a refurbished A1 Cardone. I too was very displeased with the quality. My steering wheel now has about 7 degrees of play. Like a dead zone where you turn the steering wheel and the tires dont start to turn yet. I rechecked all my work twice looking for some sort of mistake but found the rack itself to be at fault. I installed it myself and it was quite time consuming so I decided not to go through the hassle of returning it, however I have been avoiding buying cardone products if at all possible from then on.

hey thanks for the heads up! well, I cannot afford an original part...do you think Autozone or Oreilleys would be better? I think AutoZone is Duralast and Oreilleys is Cardone too.

what do you think? It is a lot of work for me too. Nothing has gone wrong yet but there have been a lot of mini battles.

I think I am going to try and return my NAPA Cardone one for at least an exchange if not full return. I did not touch it yet but it was a special order.

Do any of you have a problem with AutoZone for the high pressure hose and return hose? Is a hose a hose basically? I feel like I am starting to see some crappy parts. In the past I would be out to get cheapest brake caliper and rotor I could...etc...but I am thinking some of these parts are crap?

ndz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for the heads up! well, I cannot afford an original part...do you think Autozone or Oreilleys would be better? I think AutoZone is Duralast and Oreilleys is Cardone too.

what do you think? It is a lot of work for me too. Nothing has gone wrong yet but there have been a lot of mini battles.

I think I am going to try and return my NAPA Cardone one for at least an exchange if not full return. I did not touch it yet but it was a special order.

Do any of you have a problem with AutoZone for the high pressure hose and return hose? Is a hose a hose basically? I feel like I am starting to see some crappy parts. In the past I would be out to get cheapest brake caliper and rotor I could...etc...but I am thinking some of these parts are crap?

I have no experience with autozone or oreilleys as I live in Canada. I do however have a Mopar pressure hose going in tomorrow. Ill let you know what I think of it after its been installed for a while. I would not recommend cheaping out on anything to do with your KJ especially if its a daily driver. ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY if its a part that has to do with handling or safety (brakes, steering, suspension, etc.). Remember, you get what you pay for.

mx_599

Reaction score
I have no experience with autozone or oreilleys as I live in Canada. I do however have a Mopar pressure hose going in tomorrow. Ill let you know what I think of it after its been installed for a while. I would not recommend cheaping out on anything to do with your KJ especially if its a daily driver. ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY if its a part that has to do with handling or safety (brakes, steering, suspension, etc.). Remember, you get what you pay for.

I hear what you're saying. But don't most people get stuff at the auto stores?

I mean the rack was 600+ at dealership and about 280 at NAPA...big difference.

The hoses at auto zone are about 80 for the pressure one and 20 for the return hose. I think the high pressure at dealership was 180!

ndz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not saying get ripped off... I never buy anything from a dealership. Alot of the stuff at a stealership is exactly the same as at an auto parts store. I'm just saying dont buy cheap knock off crap from ebay. Get OEM parts whenever possible. :)