Steering column height locking lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

footfixer

Reaction score
Searched but didn't find anything.

The lever which locks the height of the steering column (the one on the lower left of the column) no longer has enough friction to hold itself in place for very long -- or over bumpy roads.

I took a quick look underneath and there doesn't appear to be a bolt to tighten. It looks like the assembly is held together by a "rivet".

Anyone familiar with this or experience it? Any fixes, other than a bungee cord? :icon_confused:

Thanks.

Richard

07 liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took mine in to see what dealer could do about it and was told I would need to replace the steering column.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s3 using Tapatalk.

footfixer

Reaction score
Wow!!

Crap engineering at its worst.

Can't say I'm surprised to hear that. There's no way I'm putting a new steering column into my 115K mile 2006 Liberty. Not going to happen.

I'll have to take a really good look at what's going on under there and come up with "something". I bought it new and I'd bet I've adjusted the steering column height no more than ten times.

When the lever is down there is a lot of lateral play. I'm wondering if a couple wraps of thin copper wire around the lever shaft would create enough friction to do the job....?

If I come up with something that works I'll post it.

Thanks for the reply.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I zip tie that sumbitch in place when it starts to act up. It's a real PITA sometimes. Subscribed to see if the new guy comes up with a good fix.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a good column that's stripped down to the main shaft without lock tumbler, multi-switch, switches, bag, spring, or wheel. just the main part with what you need to fix the friction plate.

It's not worth much to me, just my time and shipping covered. Maybe you can use parts off of it. It works great and had nothing wrong with the part you're talking about...I just had someone needing the airbag and clockspring.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seriously looks like a recall should happen on that. very dangerous.