Pre Lowered Back To Factory Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheFrugalTech

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been covered. I have searched and read for hours.

I have a "pre lowered" Liberty Limited 3.7, build date 08-2001.
Due to a CV joint on the left half axle about to come apart, and all of the bushings being trashed, I am preparing to completely rebuild the front end with all new components. All of the suspension, drive, and steering from the differential and rack/pinion out, except the knuckles which I plan to clean up and paint before reassembly (man those are expensive new). Rather than deal with rusted parts, hardware, and worry about trying to save anything, it is all coming out even if cutting is the easiest way. Rebuild should be a breeze going together. A quick trip for an alignment afterwards of course.
I would like to replace the springs with what would have been installed new. I will be rebuilding the rear with the same frame of mind later this year and plan on keeping the current springs there, maybe.
The rear stills sits higher than any other non lifted Liberty I have seen local but the front is showing age, sagging and creating way more rake than I want. Maybe the front spring/shock assemblies were replaced at some point by the PO, I don't know but did not see it in their service records.

If I search the parts on NAPA, this is what I find:
Coil Spring Free Height Driver Side 13.88" / Pass. Side 14.66"
Coil Spring I.D. Driver Side 3.18" / Pass. Side 3.18"
Coil Spring Load Height Driver Side 9" / Pass. Side 9"
Coil Spring Type 2 Tangential Ends
Design Load Driver Side 2341 / Pass. Side 2166
Spring Rate Driver Side 480 / Pass. Side 383
UNSPSC 31161903
Wire Diameter Driver Side .63" / Pass. Side .59"

Isn't that the rate for CRD?

Is that going to give me the front height as it would have been from the factory 08/2001? I want the end result to be level, no rake at all. I know I would need to bring the front up just a little more from factory original height, maybe an inch. If I go the lifted route, I would not want more than another inch compared to the current rear height. I am running 235/70/16 Firestones with no clearance issues at all. Looking to go with some Moab wheels after it is all done and I hope to be able to go 255/70/16 with no issues.

If I go the lifted route can someone tell me, or point me to someone who can tell me, what springs I need for the rear to be +1" from current (and what measurement I need to provide) and the correct springs to make the front level, or just shy of? I can make up a little with the clevis if needed but do not want any spacers anywhere otherwise, don't want to have to make up anything on the rear.

TIA

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What are your current hub to fender flare measurements all the way around?

You can't get the "pre lowered" parts at all, they all got replaced with the lowered ones. That could be why yours has the rake, the fronts are new and rears are OE.

To run a 255/70/16, you'd need to be higher than even new prelowered especially with the Moabs.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I would need to bring the front up just a little more from factory original height, maybe an inch. If I go the lifted route, I would not want more than another inch compared to the current rear height. I am running 235/70/16 Firestones with no clearance issues at all. Looking to go with some Moab wheels after it is all done and I hope to be able to go 255/70/16 with no issues.

If I go the lifted route can someone tell me, or point me to someone who can tell me, what springs I need for the rear to be +1" from current (and what measurement I need to provide) and the correct springs to make the front level, or just shy of? I can make up a little with the clevis if needed but do not want any spacers anywhere otherwise, don't want to have to make up anything on the rear.

TIA

If you want to run moabs your going to need more than an inch. While the whole prelowered thing was relevant when comparing stock heights back in the day it doesn't matter anymore do to discontinued parts.

my estimate to run 255 70 16 would be a 2.5 inch lift. Given how ****** the rear springs are stock and in your case likely worn out beyond that (wheel center fender heights to confirm plz), your going to want new rear springs too.

Minimum choice for that combo would be 926's and 948 springs with bilsteins.
I would go 927's. You won't be level till you add a top plate. Tom will have a better idea down to 0.125" but if your set on that tire size or 245 75 16 (taller) your going to want that much lift with those rims. I used to tow a boat so being a little ass up unloaded was preferred.

I was 22 all around and when my 245 75 16 were new i would rub in reverse with the wheels cut.

Your in the same state as the worlds most experienced KJ suspension installer too btw.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Due to a CV joint on the left half axle about to come apart, and all of the bushings being trashed, I am preparing to completely rebuild the front end with all new components. All of the suspension, drive, and steering from the differential and rack/pinion out, except the knuckles which I plan to clean up and paint before reassembly (man those are expensive new). Rather than deal with rusted parts, hardware, and worry about trying to save anything, it is all coming out even if cutting is the easiest way. Rebuild should be a breeze going together. A quick trip for an alignment afterwards of course.
I would like to replace the springs with what would have been installed new. I will be rebuilding the rear with the same frame of mind later this year and plan on keeping the current springs there, maybe.
The rear stills sits higher than any other non lifted Liberty I have seen local but the front is showing age, sagging and creating way more rake than I want. Maybe the front spring/shock assemblies were replaced at some point by the PO, I don't know but did not see it in their service records.

UNSPSC 31161903

Is that going to give me the front height as it would have been from the factory 08/2001? I want the end result to be level, no rake at all. I know I would need to bring the front up just a little more from factory original height, maybe an inch. If I go the lifted route, I would not want more than another inch compared to the current rear height. I am running 235/70/16 Firestones with no clearance issues at all. Looking to go with some Moab wheels after it is all done and I hope to be able to go 255/70/16 with no issues.

TIA

fIND ME, SINCE YOU ARE IN oHIO , i CAN GET YOU STRAIGHTENED OUT lol

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How long did it take Tom to cut each letter out of magazines? :D

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

UNSPSC 31161903

TIA

You can not buy stock/aftermarket springs that will give you the same ride height as yours was new.
You can not replace any springs ( stock type ) and have it sit level, they all had some rake even new
PLUS stock type springs are total junk, I replaced mine at less than 20,000 miles on the 04 I bought new and they were a bit better than what you can buy from NAPA or anywhere else.Replaced due to the terrible way it rode and handled .
NOW you want level? I / we can tell you exactly what aftermarket springs ( OME ) to use to achieve that PLUS with way better ride, handling, than it ever was before. Plus instead of maybe lasting 40-50,000 it will last twice as long.
To run 255-70-16s on MOABs you need to install a 2-2.5 inch lift, period. NO WAY to do it without lifting .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online