Stealership Carwash-maybe not a good idea

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why my purposly spotless KJ was subjected to a carwash after service work at a local dealer is unknown, but the result was both power side mirrors are dead. Fuses check out ok. Hi-pressure water or the air dry seems to have pushed water inside my door and killed the switch. A new $32.00 switch and my time to troubleshoot/ replace fixed it. Do I bother to make it an Issue, or move on...

Attachments

• new switch.jpg
    new switch.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 17
  • soggy switch.jpg
    soggy switch.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 17

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My side mirrors haven't been working for years! My switch is fine, the motors in the side mirrors are busted. I think it was from water. I've washed my KJ by hand all but two times, but with the snow that's piled up on it, rain, etc. it just eventually corroded away (the gears not grabbing?). I think the wiring is just prone to failure for the side mirrors. (dunno) I would just wash it by hand so you don't have to buy a new switch every time you take it to the dealer and be careful where you spray the hose.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you actually see water inside the switch? My Liberty gets washed at the local Cadillac Dealership every friday and I have never had an issue with water entering the doors.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Werd - I've run mine through the car wash FAR many more times than I have hand washed it and (knock on wood) never had an issue.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power mirrors stopped working about 5 years ago,then about a year ago started working again on there own.Don't really care as they never get adjusted/moved unless I'm on a long road trip.

Power washed every sunday,no hand washing as it just scratches the paint.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power mirrors stopped working about 5 years ago,then about a year ago started working again on there own.Don't really care as they never get adjusted/moved unless I'm on a long road trip.

Power washed every sunday,no hand washing as it just scratches the paint.

Maybe mine will start magically working again too! :D

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They just might.

Glad I don't have power seats as my drivers seat has not moved since Feb 28th 2002.Nobody drives my Jeep:boxing:

My wife and I are the only ones who drive my Jeep (we only have the KJ, no other car... yet). Luckily, despite there being an 8"+ height difference and 100 lbs, we have the mirrors at the perfect spot where they don't need any adjusting. Otherwise it'd be a huge pain to constantly adjust it and would've shelled out the money for new mirrors long ago.

AZWFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't have noticed the dead switch if the mirrors weren't moved for who ever did the roar test-drive.

Only time I take my libby to the dealer is for stuff I'm not equipped to do, like power flush the ****** or replace passenger dash panels from the nail marks!

Possibly 9+ years in torque'n hot AZ made the window trim/seal shrink so water could get in, but I never saw evidence of it when I remove the door trim.