Starts but won't keep running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaleD

Reaction score
My '05 Liberty will start but will only run for about 10 seconds. I was in an accident and rolled it on the drivers side. Any ideas?

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the engine knocking or ticking when it is running? (i.e. indicating severe engine problems) If not, you may want to try and replace the throttle position sensor...when mine went bad it sort of did the same thing you're describing.

DaleD

Reaction score
Runs perfectly but only for a few seconds. I must wait about 30 minutes before it will start again. I was running great before the accident.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a key chip problem to me. I would try a spare key if you have one and see if the spare key starts the jeep.

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may not be.if it is the cause it should start and stall in few seconds. As fuel pressure lost.Tps sensor also may not cause a cel too. Crank position sensors cause such problems and car may not start on each try.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roll over?

Some vehicles have a roll over switch that cuts power to the fuel pump if in a roll over. Do Liberty's have such a switch? If yes, there should be a reset button on it. One more thing to check.

I had a similar problem with a PT Cruiser with the chip key. The valet key will start the engine for a few seconds but requires the chip key to keep running. Is your stock key black (no chip) or grey and fat (chip in key)?

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was a sentry key problem, you would have an indicator on the dash.

I would check the crankshaft position sensor. Here is how the PCM processes a missing crank signal:

The PCM monitors the crankshaft position sensor. If the PCM does not receive a crankshaft position sensor signal within 3 seconds of cranking the engine, it will shut down the fuel injection system.
The fuel pump is activated by the PCM through the fuel pump relay.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe that in the case of a rollover or an airbag going off then something has to be reset by the Dealer.

If the PCM does not recognise the chipped key for the SKIM system the red LED for the SKIM will be lit constantly...should normally go out after the ignition is on for a few seconds. This light on constantly means you can start the Jeep but it runs for a few seconds only then cuts out.

projectkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look for a brken air line
(from any vent to any PCv valvue)
one from intake plenium to oil filler neck PCV valve
one from instake plenium to brake booster
one from intake box, to vent tubes on the valve covers

mine was doing take, mine was from the oiler fill next to back of intake planium, in behind throttle body drive side

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did this ever get resolved? I wanted to post earlier, but maybe even just a system re-boot?? Disconnect the battery for a bit.:shrug:

K.I.S.S.(keep it simple stupid):shakehead:

:smoke2:
:happy160:

Bert

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you done a fuel gauge pressure test at fuel rail?
Checked all the fuses under hood & interior side panel?+ Fuel Pump fuse/relay?
Does your Jeep have traction control & ABS?