Starting Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...They die intermittently and eventually.

That's my guess. Replacing the starter is the quickest way to bag a deer, maybe.
Think I could squeeze a week out of it? I know there are no guarantees, but if I had really good odds of getting it to last until I'm back it would make my life less stressful. I'm going to try to have it looked at tomorrow morning but I'm afraid they'll say "leave it", then not get it done until Friday, at which point I'm pretty much sunk.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
No.

Multiple tries are your best bet when it spins. They never self heal, they all die completely. When and where would you like it to die completely?

Crawl underneath with a light and see how hard it is to remove. Can't be more than a few bolts, one big wire, and a smaller wire or more. I haven't crawled under a 3.7 so I don't know if they're difficult.

Park on a hill and wish it was a manual?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go back country without knowing both the battery & starter are good.
Test em both, but it sounds like the starter needs to be replaced then shoot it to put it out of it's misery!
Ah sorry they want the old core ha ha...:gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think they're easy to replace, you probably need to pull the front driveshaft.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours was doing this. Had those crappy Lead bolt on terminals. There was a voltage drop after it in the ground wire. I cut out an inch and put on a new terminal. I also removed one bolt form the heat shield at the starter pulled it out of the way and cleaned and re-attached the starter wires. This fixed it. Next time it won't start and is not hot jiggle the small yellow wire at the starter and try again. Get your VOM out before throwing parts at it. I bet you have a voltage drop when trying to start it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Called Carmax and they said my warranty would cover it. Took it to Firestone (where I bought my new tires last January) and explained that I had a five-day trip planned and blah-blah-blah...

Anyway, they replaced the starter - no charge to me!!! - and I got it back about 7pm this evening. As a bonus, since I had to dig out the warranty paperwork I discovered that my warranty was for six years and not five. Since the financing was for five years I guess I thought they both were.

I feel much better now. :)

wjg743

Reaction score
Great to hear it was the starter and that someone else replaced it. I just replaced my starter 2003 Liberty sport 3.7L and the cause of not starting ended up being a damaged/broken actuator pin. That was a very long repair of the starter to finally get to the pin replacement. Im now chasing electrical problems after getting it started again. ( posted under general discussion - electrical problems)