Starting Issue..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had an issue starting the KJ until today. It was warmed up from driving it and had sat for 15 minutes, went to start it, and it went to about 300 RPMS and stalled out right away.. I tried to start it again and it was fine. Didn't think much of it until it happened two more times after it sat for about 15-20 minutes after coming in and out of stores. It stalled right out and then started fine on the second try..
My battery is the factory (now 6 years old with 81k on it the past two years of it have had aux lighting and audio abusing it) but its never even gave a weak start..
Also I have noticed my Idle is a little low around 600 when warmed up (has been like this since I got it 2.5 years ago) where as my sisters 03 sits at 700-800.
Could the issue be the battery? Or possible something else?

Might be worth noting: I put in new plugs (NGK V-Power) air filter, and muffler back exhaust about 3 weeks ago, and it runs great.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sure you have heard the jeep does weird stuff with a bad battery. It is best every winter to take it in and load test it. If you have removable caps a battery hydrometer can give you a state of charge reading on each cell. My heep sits on a intelligent trickle charger often to keep it up through the winter months as well.

The IAC controls the idle, but mine all cleaned including ports runs at 600rpm when warm.
Have you ever cleaned the IAC? Or done throttle body lately?
The Jeep does require cooper core plugs for best ignition/performance and I only use the Stock NGK's. I am not sure about the v-power stuff/Are they a copper core?
Any engine light on?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had that issue, some STP fuel stabilizer (clean it out a bit) and some new Autolite Double plat plugs seems to have cured it. Does it run fine after it starts? I kind of attribute it to winter fuel too...

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This winter I am running Chevron 94 in KJ with no ethanol. Seems ethanol likes to absorb moisture and water in tank at sub zero is not goods new either. I bought 12 Premium gas line antifreeze (with water remover) to have on hand should it get cold soon here.
With ethanol based fuels, a Sta-Bil Marine grade ethanol fuel stabilizer helps keep fuels in check.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/3/AutoFluidsChemicals/EngineCleaneEngineDegreasers/PRD~0380915P/Sta-Bil+Marine+Formula.jsp?locale=en

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to get normal Champion Coppers but Autozone didn't even have any at their warehouse, and one of the knowledgable guys there has a nice Cherokee and older Monte Carlo recommended these. They seemed to help with a good idle and the Jeep runs great, no other issues at all.
I lightly cleaned the throttle body when I did the plugs and filter but didn't do it thoroughly or do any of the sensors, so I will try that tomorrow.
I use Lucas fuel system cleaner every 2/3 months and I am just about due for the next treatment.

I know on newer cars a battery that is starting to go, can cause some problems like this. Also no check engine lights, and it doesn't happen on every startup..
It did happen right after I got gas from a station I don't use too often (it was a Shell) and there was a truck filling the stations tanks and the pump was extremly slow.. I wonder if the gas holding tanks were low so I was getting some bad leftover gas at the bottom?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I would find Sta-Bil as per link above/ add water remover too.
I would also want to confirm if the (champion) v-power is a copper core plug. Champion V-Power I seem to remember from like 10 years ago or something has a v-tip on it.
Are you sure it is not the NGK V-Power plug?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would find Sta-Bil as per link above/ add water remover too.
I would also want to confirm if the (champion) v-power is a copper core plug. Champion V-Power I seem to remember from like 10 years ago or something has a v-tip on it.
Are you sure it is not the NGK V-Power plug?

I kept the boxes out on the bench in the garage and you are right they are the NGK V-power plugs! I think they are copper cores.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at your boxes from plugs.
Now that we know you got NGK's..the correct plug is listed under the hood on label.
Off the top of my head I think they are:
ZFR6F - 11G NGK #
What do you have on box?
Ps your battery at 6yrs old might only have 200amps left in it..go load test it, and get voltage first thing in the am...

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as an update, Monday morning I put in 10 Gallons of premium and a thing of Iso Heet fuel cleaner and water remover and it hasn't happened since.

New battery is coming as a Christmas present.
Then blower motor resistor..

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually just started getting this issue. Hoping fuel stabilizer/cleaner might help. The battery on my Jeep is only about a year old and probably has about 10-12k miles on it. Plugs were done on the jeep about 28k miles ago. Think it could be the plugs? I'm still getting decent mileage (averaging 18-19mpg), have a decent idle (relatively smooth @600 RPMs), and get no CELs. Just checking if anyone has any more knowledge of this issue. Want to make sure that I squish all problems before they surface... :disgust:

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another thought - especially since you mentioned getting fuel just prior - is you may have a clogged fuel filter from stirred up debris in the tank.

Members online

No members online now.