Stalling???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ok, so twice this week, my KJ has stalled on me. They have both occured while backing out of a parking space. The other day, it was where I work, and today it was a KFC after I ate lunch. Both times, I had been driving around town all day, so it was good and warm. Earlier this week when it did it at work, it was cold outside (about 30 or so), and today it was quite warm for it being almost January.

What happened both times was, i was backing out of the parking space, at idle speed, and I came to a complete stop, put it in Drive, and go to turn the wheel to pull away. Well the wheel turns for MAYBE 1 second and it stops dead in it's tracks. Once it stops, the engine stalls out, and the dashboard lights up. Then you have to put it back in Neutral or Park and start it back up again. And it fires right back up (that's what really puzzles me).

Here are a couple of things I've noticed. If you are sitting in Neutral or Park and you turn the wheel full lock in either direction, RPM's will drop (down to about 400-500) and it acts like it will stall but doesn't. I did a test a while back to see if it would, and it will if you turn it full lock, let off a little, turn it back to full lock, let off a little, and keep repeating this, it will stall out. I also noticed that this morning, I was letting it warm up in my driveway a minute, and I could hear the power steering pump moaning (i was NOT turning the wheel) over the sound of the engine. I turned the wheel a bit and it REALLY started moaning. I drove it around the block, got it warmed up all the way, and it went quiet. Didn't think much about it untill it stalled out on my about an hour later. Perhaps the power steering pump is on the fritz? I've got an appointment at the dealer tomorrow morning at 8:30 for an oil change and front end alignment (finally), i'll have them take a look at it tomorrow.

Anybody else experienced any of this?

p.s., it's got plenty of power steering fluid.

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been fortunate and have not experienced any problems of this type, however, I believe that I agree with your possible explanation, I'll bet the power steering in on the fritz, unless there is some sort of computer problem when the engine is under stress that needs adjusting... :-k

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
it has happened to me, and pretty much under the same circumstanses, either i'm backing up, then when going back to drive, i stall, or when i go to drive, then brake after moving about 10 feet, the rpm's dip really low, then i stall, but it has only happened when it has been extremely cold like low teens...or upper 20's...anything...warmer, then no.....and it only happens then....once the ****** and engine are warm, then it's all systems go...
actually, one time, and only once has it stalled when it everything was warm...

2003KJ

Reaction score
My last car did that all the time, even at 90mph on the highway (not fun trying to jumpstart the car when your in the middle of a turn and the turn is ending, fortuneately that was a 5 speed).

Tonight I noticed while driving around (trying to get it to act up again) the steering felt very tight. Wasn't moaning, or suqeeling, or stalling), it just felt very tight. WIll be intresting what the stealership has to say tomorrow.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Well, the KJ is in the shop now :sad11: I'm Jeepless for about the next 3 hours. But, it's finally getting serviced. It needed an oil change, BADLY needed an alignment, tires are being rotated and balanced, and they'd look into the power steering. Maybe they'll find something. I even told the guy, befor eyou start dumping parts in if you find a problem with the steering, call me first. The guy said it would all be under warranty....maybe i have one of the RARE good Chrysler dealerships \:D/