Squeek because of the cold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if its normal for the, I think its the shocks on all 4 wheels, to squeek when its cool? It seems to do it when I turn alot more than when I'm going straight.

It'll squeek for the first 4-5min and then it goes away. Its just started doing this the last couple days. Its -29C here so I'm wondering what to expect when winter sets in and we get down to -35c to -45c?

Thanks.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I think what you're talking about is more of a squishy noise? If so, it's actually the anti-sway bar bushings. The only fix is to lube them, and the noise will just come back next winter. I just forget about it.

Unless you're hearing something else...

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, its a high pitch squeek/squeel. Its like its freezing something and after a few min it gets loosened up and it goes away. I'll see if I can record it when I go to work this afternoon.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sway bar bushings are pretty squeaky, not "squishy", I keep lubing them and the noise keeps coming back, esp. when it's cold. I'm having them replaced next time I''m in the shop to see if that cures it for a couple or three years anyways, like they lasted the first time...

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Heat

Well, sure enough soon as it hits -15 C here, my heat gives out. Nothing comes out the vents after stationary idle for 15 minutes, then I get heat after about 10 minutes of driving. If I stop and park and keep idling, heat goes away.

No codes came up. Stuck thermostat? Temperature sensor? Needs full flush? The heater hoses only get semi-warm at idle. Although it's a 2002, I'm only at 114,000 km, barely over 60,000 miles.

Ideas welcome, thanks,

Marty

t_bois

Reaction score
How about a little more information.

Do you hear it when you're not moving? Does the noise change with motor speed, vehicle speed, when you apply the brakes, or when you're backing up?

t_bois

Reaction score
Marty,

You should post this as a new thread; you will get more replies. You didn't say what your temp gauge was doing, could be the thermostat but the temp gauge would show your vehicle was not warming up.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Gont,

Today was the first real day of real winter here, got to -23 Degree's Celsius and I got the same thing. I started the jeep and started to drive, I heard it squeak, mostly on stopping/turns. After a couple minutes of driving it went away.

After work, I got in the jeep and again after I started to drive it did it.

Never had this happen until it hit -20ish. The rest of winter so far has been about -5 to +5 Celsius.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, just happened to me when it got cold too. Its -25 here right now and it did it while I left my parking lot and then went away a few miles down the highway. So I dunno. I just hear it at slow speed, like when I'm in the parking lot. Im thinking its just because of the cold and everything is stiff....

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Squeek again today, but not much. I think it just needs to be warmed up and get some courage to live in that weather.

Last edited:

Dude 1

Reaction score
About the heater.. I would get a rad flush. It sound like the heater core may be blocked up a bit. I did this to my sisters 02 and it took care of it.