Squealing/grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The wolf

Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty and every time I turn left or right there’s this grinding that seems to be coming from the back wheels , it also makes a grinding/squealing sound when I’m going straight and slow , haven really noticed it when I’m driving at high speeds , could it be the wheel bearings? Or maybe something else?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check your u-joints for play or heat. I've had lots of u-joints go bad but the jeep is the only vehicle I've had that made horrible grinding noises and then quieted down for quite awhile before it started clunking when put in gear.

The other "usual suspect" is the parking brake. They're a small drum brake in the rear brake discs. Backing plates rust apart and lots of other noisy bad things happen there.

psrountree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 Liberty and every time I turn left or right there’s this grinding that seems to be coming from the back wheels , it also makes a grinding/squealing sound when I’m going straight and slow , haven really noticed it when I’m driving at high speeds , could it be the wheel bearings? Or maybe something else?
I had a grinding noise from my back wheels, especially going slow, during or after braking. More so after a down-hill that allowed the brakes to heat up. Replaced rear calliper pistons and seals, all quiet again for a few months, but I can hear it again occasionally, especially in damp weather.
Peter

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this Export KJ of yours a gasser or a CRD?

My 2002 Export 2.5 CRD has 410 gearing in the rear diff and Tracloc which requires the Mopar Friction Modifier added to the rear diff when replacing the diff oil.

I noticed a "binding" at the rear when doing tight turns on the Tarmac at slow speeds....I drained the rear diff, filled up with Dyno oil and the Friction Modifier and that resolved the problem!

I don't think the 2002 Gasser had Tracloc....maybe wheel bearings?