Squealing from under dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper

Reaction score
So this morning when I was leaving for work, I opened the door and this high pitched, annoying as hell, squealing was coming from the dash, sounds like behind the radio of my '04 Liberty. The keys are not even it in.

Any ideas? I haven't had the chance to disconnect the battery to see if that solves the problem, but what the hell is this all about?

Thanks.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it an electronic squeel and not some critter under your dash?? Maybe the critter is now claiming the Jeep as its own and demanding you leave. (bad joke)..

Does squeeling stop when you shut the door? Is your dome light on when the door is open? Did squeeling happen again at a later time or was it a one time occurance?

Last edited:

Trooper

Reaction score
I pulled battery and it still makes the sound. There are no lights on the dash and the dome lights turn off. It's been squealing since 8am. Does it while driving.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.. Does the squeel stop or pause at any specific time.. Or just squeel regardless of what you do? IE: When you try start it is quiet briefly..

Just for the sake of asking, any aftermarket electronics in it? ie security alarm, hard wired radar detector. Just checking..

I am thinking its the computer. But I dont know enough about the Liby to know where the brains are. Most time on cars they are under the seat.

I would do a full ops check of everything. Start it, lights, radio, horn, turn signals..

Im sorry I dont have any good solutions, the battery reset fixed my bosses Max temporarly (her lights in the floor would not go off) Computer freaking out.

Trooper

Reaction score
Everything is stock. The squealing never stops. I'm guessing whatever it is must have it's own power supply otherwise it would stop once I pulled the battery.

I have not experienced anything funny. All electronics work.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. Sorry I was just doing some troubleshooting. I know some electronics have constant power, (radio for one). I dono what to tell you.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mechanically, that's by the brake booster. If the seal in the booster is failing, it may squeal while vacuum pressure is being applied and for a little while afterwards until pressure is equalized. A remote possibility, but easy as popping your hood and seeing if it's louder there.

Otherwise, my vote goes to animal.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this morning when I was leaving for work, I opened the door and this high pitched, annoying as hell, squealing was coming from the dash, sounds like behind the radio of my '04 Liberty. The keys are not even it in.

Any ideas? I haven't had the chance to disconnect the battery to see if that solves the problem, but what the hell is this all about?

Thanks.

Vacuum going to your blend door slowly leaking?

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys.. He says it was doing it before he even tried to start it.. Been squeeling all day.. So not a residual from preverious running..

If it is a critter I think the squeek would be variable and intermittent.

I thought of something but it would only be if the Jeep was on, would be maybe the blower for the AC.

Trooper

Reaction score
Well, everyone, you might as well take me out back and shoot me. Animal with a dying battery was pretty close. I stuck my head under the dash opening below the steering wheel and noticed under by front seat was my portable battery jumper which, you guessed, was the culprit.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Just glad it was a cheep fix.

DOH!!!! "Slaps forehead with hand"

Slava

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175:
Well, everyone, you might as well take me out back and shoot me. Animal with a dying battery was pretty close. I stuck my head under the dash opening below the steering wheel and noticed under by front seat was my portable battery jumper which, you guessed, was the culprit.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. Just glad it was a cheep fix.

DOH!!!! "Slaps forehead with hand"
:happy175:

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Squeeling wasnt under the dash. Good to know your Jeep is ok though..

Reminds me of some military aircraft MX jokes.. Pilot writes up "when front landing gear goes down sounds like a little man with a little hammer".. Solution "removed little hammer from little man". or Pilot writes up, "Autoland function not working" solution Autoland feature not installed on this aircraft.. And lastly Pilot writes up #2 engine missing.. Solution: After brief search #2 engine located on right wing.

Ok back to work..

Latest posts

Members online