Squeaky wheels when rolling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the squeaky wheels.. what could be the problem? It doesn't happen all the time, but when I rolling slowly 5-10 mph, and if there is a wall next to me where the squeek can bounce from, I can hear it very clearly, sometimes it is louder, but never loud enough to be heard with the windows up.

what could be the problem? Sometimes it is front left, sometimes front right.

This is in addition to brake noise, which I got used to.

I am going to be changing my tires pretty soon, and I think I should ask them to take a look at the rotors and brake pads or anything else? The thing is it is not there all the time, and I cannot relate it to anything else, what can I tell him to check?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, the noise is coming from the wheels, it is metallic. I haven't noticed it during last week. It sounded like rusted ball bearings.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles are on those brake pads?

That's what it probably is. There is a wear indicator built into most disk brake pads that makes a "tinny" sound when they are worn down. Like a squeek. You should be able to see the pads. How much brake pad is left?

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake Pads were replaced probably about 12k miles ago. The thing is, sure they squeak when I apply brake as well, but this squeak goes away when I apply brake. So the wheel squeak stops, brake/rotor squeak starts when I am braking.. That, I got used to. Oh that reminds me, next time I need new brakes, I am not going back to dealer and their stupid "Mopar Value Line" brakes.. Ughh.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Brake Pads were replaced probably about 12k miles ago. The thing is, sure they squeak when I apply brake as well, but this squeak goes away when I apply brake. So the wheel squeak stops, brake/rotor squeak starts when I am braking.. That, I got used to. Oh that reminds me, next time I need new brakes, I am not going back to dealer and their stupid "Mopar Value Line" brakes.. Ughh.

Still sounds like brakes to me. 12K on the brakes and they're making noise? I'd be right back at that dealer making them do the job again.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still sounds like brakes to me. 12K on the brakes and they're making noise? I'd be right back at that dealer making them do the job again.

Agreed - they must be slightly rubbing (stuck caliper? grooved/warped rotors?)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did go back, and they said "it is wear and tear, and we don't cover brakes after a few months".

Would brakes make noise when not applied? As if they were touching the wheel or something on the outside?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They aren't touching the wheel - thy are contacting the rotor. I think it's either a sticking caliper or something with the rotor.