Spongy brake pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I took my KJ for some light wheeling 2 weeks ago. Since then, I need to push the brake pedal real hard to make it stop and even then, I am unable to make it skid even if I step on the pedal. Brake fluid is at Max so I dont think I do have any leaks. Pads are almost due, I ordered a full set (back and front) but I don't think that will solve the whole issue, only a part of it...

But what should I look next ? I feel like water from the mud got in... ?

I also don't know the last time they were bled... maybe it would be a good idea ?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake fluid should be fully replaced every couple of years ... almost no one does it.

You may have glazed the pads' friction material as well during your outing; that will greatly reduce their ability to bite into the rotor and stop your Jeep.

If pads are almost due anyhow, I'd put new pads and rotors on there and flush out and replace the brake fluid: be done with it then.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake fluid should be fully replaced every couple of years ... almost no one does it.

You may have glazed the pads' friction material as well during your outing; that will greatly reduce their ability to bite into the rotor and stop your Jeep.

If pads are almost due anyhow, I'd put new pads and rotors on there and flush out and replace the brake fluid: be done with it then.

Would that cause the spongy pedal ? I received the pads so I'll take this all appart tonight and see what's going on. I suspect the bleeding screws will be stuck or rusted it sounds like I'll need new calipers and while at it will probably change the rotors too...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your pads are due and the brake fluid level is at max mark you do have a issue,never top off brake fluid,the master level is a quick way to judge brake pad wear without having to take the wheels off.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll really see what's going on tonight... I never added brake fluid so maybe previous owner did :uhoh2: I really need to take care of the spongy/poor braking performance ASAP as I really want to go fishing this week-end ! :sad72: If I need more parts, I would prefer not to wait for RockAuto to deliver them. I'll check with local Parts store if prices are not that bad and they have what I need I might go that way so I do not waste a fishing week-end as those week-ends are counted here in Quebec ;)

Wait and see !

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...those week-ends are counted here in Quebec ;)

Considering many of us (Quebecers) can fish from our backyards with all this flooding... Are you affected? I'm in Kirkland so am OK - but have friends in Pierrefonds and Laval-Ouest who are 1 meter deep in water.

You can also try MaxBrakes.com. Their prices are good, shipping within a couple of days (from Ontario). If you call and speak directly it will go faster and you can ask if they will be in by Friday (good chance they will be).

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering many of us (Quebecers) can fish from our backyards with all this flooding... Are you affected? I'm in Kirkland so am OK - but have friends in Pierrefonds and Laval-Ouest who are 1 meter deep in water.

You can also try MaxBrakes.com. Their prices are good, shipping within a couple of days (from Ontario). If you call and speak directly it will go faster and you can ask if they will be in by Friday (good chance they will be).

I am not affected but my sister got a few inch in her basement. I am looking for trout on lakes in my kayak. I will not fish St-Lawrence or St-Maurice rivers before bass opens (June 16th)

MaxBrakes don't seem to have calipers sadly but prices are good. I hope to solve it tonight though. Will keep the post updated !

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pump the brakes do the get harder? If so it would be a bleed issue. Otherwise it's something else. Check for bulging lines too. If the pads don't fix the issue, look at the master cylinder and the booster.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you pump the brakes do the get harder? If so it would be a bleed issue. Otherwise it's something else. Check for bulging lines too. If the pads don't fix the issue, look at the master cylinder and the booster.

It's a lot better now ! I had a torn rubber boots LR and a twisted line FR. Pads were finally not THAT worn but I still changed them.

I do have a question for you guys though. When you step on the brakes, are you able to lock the wheels ? I never drove the Jeep hard enough to lock them before but I tried to do so yesterday night and was unable to lock them on asphalt. Did not tried a gravel road though, they should lock almost instantly...

PS. I don't have ABS ;)

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can lock all 4 up no problems and I'm running 35x12.50x15's and weighing over 6400lbs.

I guess I might be due for rotors in the end...:icon_neutral:

I don't feel like it's the master cylinder and calipers are working. Pads are new and the box has "shorter break-in period" written on it but still...

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the rotors and now can easily lock them but more often than not, I'm just fully stopped before they lock.

I consider it case closed ! Thanks guys !

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a follow-up... I finally had to change at least rear calipers...

I will prolly do front ones also in a few weeks...

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you?
Mine stick occasionally, each side seems to take a turn...

I'm slow but should take no more than a Sunday afternoon.

I changed pads and rotors which is almost the same job and it took me the afternoon (remember, I'm slow doing these things) but my dad did the calipers as he was off yesterday and the Jeep needs to be up and running for Thursday since we are going to our ZEC for bass season opening friday morning :fish_h4h: :head3: I still have the front driveshaft rear CV joint to do but I am not sure I will have received it :blah: