Spilled washer fluid in my jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i usually keep a bottle of washer fluid in the back of my jeep in case i run out. however the bottle decided to fall over and the seal broke on the cap and it leaked almost a whole bottle of washer fluid in the back of my jeep. i've tried using our shop vac to suck up the fluid with no luck. right now i have a fan blowing on the area where it spilled hoping that will dry it up. should i be worried about it? will it eventually dry up and be fine with no ill effects? am i going to have to rip the carpet up? any ideas would be helpful. thanks

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I would pull the carpet up and then dry it!
Its really easy!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
All of the storage oils & fluids can sit inside one of those Rubbermaid containers with a hinged lid. I just use a rope around mine and tie it around the seat back holder when upright, so it does not fly around. That way I know my carpet is not going to get the spills.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its right where the bigger half of the seats folds down. i undid the velcro on the flap of carpet and i can feel the carpet pad is wet but the carpet itself is dry and unstained.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Got any pics?

Sure HJ here is my storage container note the yellow rope tied to rear seat.
34002[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepStorage.jpg
    JeepStorage.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
OP: Get a Husky Liner... :D
You must be registered for see images attach

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
however it does look like something i should invest in. are they pricey? really right now i'm just worried that the washer fluid is gonna rot in the carpet pad or its gonna cuase rust inside. its all done smelly funny so thats no big deal. its been raining all week so really not alot of time to leave it out with the windows down :/

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I flood my front interior. I kinda fold the carpet back and use a shop vac first then towels hair dryer and my hands to squeeze the carpet padding.. get it completely dry in like 30 -45

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't help his present situation.

There's nothing wrong with donning the crash helmet after the crash. It makes for great yuks.

The following is my opinion, and not scientific:

If there would by any liquid spilled in your jeep that probably wouldn't rot the carpet, it'd be washer fluid, especially if you can get it generally dry quickly. It's when you spill foodstuffs, such as Milk or other things that you're in deep yogurt (so to speak). A friend of mine spilled milk (Not sure if he cried afterward) in his Blazer and for the rest of the time he owned it, you could smell him coming down the road.

Get it dry as quickly as possible and make sure you expose it to circulating dry air as quickly as possible. It could possibly form mold if you leave it wet and the chemical agents dissapate enough for mold to grow. But I guarantee you that washer fluid in its normal state won't allow any mold to grow.

And what TBJ said. Nothing is more effective in airing/drying out a car better than leaving the windows cracked/open(if possible) when it's parked outside in the sun.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
however it does look like something i should invest in. are they pricey? really right now i'm just worried that the washer fluid is gonna rot in the carpet pad or its gonna cuase rust inside. its all done smelly funny so thats no big deal. its been raining all week so really not alot of time to leave it out with the windows down :/
I'd pull up the carpet just to check. Some washer fluids eat clear coat.

Husky liners: I got the whole set used (from LOST) for $150. New that rear mat is probably around $120.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you pull the rest of the rear carpet up then? i see where it comes off the back seats and it seems to just pull out from the sides, but how the hell do you get the anchor points off or the carpet out from them? i have no problem taking the carpet out, i just don't know how :(. it was the de-icer bug wash washer fluid.

side note maybe i will get one of those cargo liners for the rear, or a small container to store stuff like this in. i want to get the husky or weathertech floor mats already so maybe i'll get the cargo liner as well. thanks again for any help.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
apparently the tie downs are riveted in, no rivet gun or any idea what size rivet i need. maybe this weekend i'll go at it and rip the carpet up. just need to find the size of the rivets.

staindvans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all better now. bought a rivet gun and some rivets. drilled the old rivets out and pulled the carpet up. then i set a fan up overnight blowing on it and it was all dry by the morning. laid the carpet back down and re-revited the tie downs to the floor and all was well. wasn't really to bad of a job in the end. the rivets are kinda of pain to get out but i've never drilled them out before either.