Speedometer Not Working Intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rider

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the KJ Board. I recently purchased a 2003 Limited for my daughter. Only 94K miles. The speedometer and odometer seem to be not working sometimes. Start it up, put it in gear and the speedometer stays on 0. Tach and other gauges work. The other issue is, that when this problem occurs, there is a grinding noise when shifting into park from drive. When the speedometer is working the grinding noise isnt there. Its only done this twice in the last week. When the speedometer doesn't work, its stays that way for the entire ignition cycle. Once you restart the problem goes away...for a little while anyway. I did a google search but nothing came up that seemed reasonable.

Thanks,

Rider

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you know why the mileage is as low as it is----------

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the KJ Board. I recently purchased a 2003 Limited for my daughter. Only 94K miles. The speedometer and odometer seem to be not working sometimes. Start it up, put it in gear and the speedometer stays on 0. Tach and other gauges work. The other issue is, that when this problem occurs, there is a grinding noise when shifting into park from drive. When the speedometer is working the grinding noise isnt there. Its only done this twice in the last week. When the speedometer doesn't work, its stays that way for the entire ignition cycle. Once you restart the problem goes away...for a little while anyway. I did a google search but nothing came up that seemed reasonable.

Thanks,

Rider
Pretty much one of two things
either the sensor on the rear diff or the wiring from the sensor up to the body. I'd start with wiring since out of 5 or 6 I have repaired only one had the sensor go bad, rest were wiring issues.
Sensor/ pickup is on the left side of the pumpkin looking from the rear with wires running to it

Shouldn't be a grinding noise if speedo is not working since nothing would be there to do that.

Rider

Reaction score
Pretty much one of two things
either the sensor on the rear diff or the wiring from the sensor up to the body. I'd start with wiring since out of 5 or 6 I have repaired only one had the sensor go bad, rest were wiring issues.
Sensor/ pickup is on the left side of the pumpkin looking from the rear with wires running to it

Shouldn't be a grinding noise if speedo is not working since nothing would be there to do that.

The grinding sounds like its coming from the transmission or flywheel. It sounds just like when you try to start your car with it already running and will make that noise until you shut the car off. It only makes that noise going from drive to park and not park to drive.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a grinding or buzzing sound?

The transmission solenoids create a buzzing sound when they activate - and could be mistaken for light grinding if you're not used to it. The solenoids would be my guess given that the sound only occurs when you go from D to P.

For what it's worth I had the speedometer issue about 6 weeks ago and checked the wiring first since others had indicated that corrosion often attacks the wiring right at the connector to the sensor. I checked and double-checked and couldn't find any wear so as a last resort I bought a new sensor. Sure enough the speedo/odo (and of course the cruise control) started working again. Mine was one of the rare sensors that went bad.

Bob

Rider

Reaction score
Is it a grinding or buzzing sound?

The transmission solenoids create a buzzing sound when they activate - and could be mistaken for light grinding if you're not used to it. The solenoids would be my guess given that the sound only occurs when you go from D to P.

For what it's worth I had the speedometer issue about 6 weeks ago and checked the wiring first since others had indicated that corrosion often attacks the wiring right at the connector to the sensor. I checked and double-checked and couldn't find any wear so as a last resort I bought a new sensor. Sure enough the speedo/odo (and of course the cruise control) started working again. Mine was one of the rare sensors that went bad.

Bob

Lets just say its really loud. Loud enough to be heard inside my house when the jeep is in the garage.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the difference and how do I tell?

The 42RLE is a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission. The 42RLE comes in 2003.5+ Jeep Libertys. The 45RFE is a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission, with an alternative 2nd gear ratio for downshifting. The 45RFE was replaced by the 42RLE in 2003.5+ Libertys. The 545RFE is a 5-speed overdrive automatic transmission. Mechanically, the 42RLE has 13 bolts and a straight crossmember, while the 45RFE and 545RFE have 15 bolts and a backwards angled crossmember.

Rider

Reaction score
The 42RLE is a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission. The 42RLE comes in 2003.5+ Jeep Libertys. The 45RFE is a 4-speed overdrive automatic transmission, with an alternative 2nd gear ratio for downshifting. The 45RFE was replaced by the 42RLE in 2003.5+ Libertys. The 545RFE is a 5-speed overdrive automatic transmission. Mechanically, the 42RLE has 13 bolts and a straight crossmember, while the 45RFE and 545RFE have 15 bolts and a backwards angled crossmember.

My guess is its a 42RLE. Whatever was stock on the 2003 Limiteds. :shrug:

Latest posts

Members online