Speedometer jumping issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're gonna need the pigtail and connector that goes to the rear diff. Get a speed sensor while you're at it

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well gonna go to autozone and order that rear cable I guess, seems like that's what I need, and I believe that sensor should work.

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks about right... make sure ya push the wires in all the way in the pig tail connector. i think it makes like a click noise.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use the crimp connectors they give you. Use weatherproof crimp connectors. After you crimp them you heat them up and a sealer melts around the wire so no water gets in. I've done this 4 times and finally got it right. Replaced all the wires up to the frame and speed sensor and changed the diff fluid. Speedo never worked so great until I did all of that.

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah going to be changing fluids and such next week probably, well I'll be ordering the stuff to do them, diff's, transmission, coolant flush, etc etc.

Where do you get the weatherproof crimp connectors? I was going to just solder it and use the adhesive shrink tubing which has a layer of like thick hot glue on the inside that seals when you shrink it.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah going to be changing fluids and such next week probably, well I'll be ordering the stuff to do them, diff's, transmission, coolant flush, etc etc.

Where do you get the weatherproof crimp connectors? I was going to just solder it and use the adhesive shrink tubing which has a layer of like thick hot glue on the inside that seals when you shrink it.

You can get them at "smotozone"

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, i got the bolt off the speed sensor but I can't seem to pull it out at all! I got a flathead scew driver under the connector part and then slid the end under the rear crossmember or whatever you call it and tried to pry it up and nothing.....didn't even budge.

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I really can't get it to budge! And funny enough the pigtail connector looks ok, BUT I can't even get the connector off the sensor! I pulled the red lock tab off and everything still can't get the connector to pull off.... I was going to cut the connector wires but then idk if I'll be able to get the damn sensor out :(

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I really can't get it to budge! And funny enough the pigtail connector looks ok, BUT I can't even get the connector off the sensor! I pulled the red lock tab off and everything still can't get the connector to pull off.... I was going to cut the connector wires but then idk if I'll be able to get the damn sensor out :(

Twist the sensor back and forth

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I was trying, it's like really stuck in there. Sadly wife is going to work soon so I'll probably have to try and work on it tonight after she gets home. I don't feel like taking her to work, or wasting the gas on 2 trips to her work lol. When I get back under there going to try and use my channel locks and see if I can twisted it at all, because I couldn't do it with my hands that's for sure.

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well....I got my channel locks around it, and it turned a bit back and forth although it was really hard. So I decided to try and grab it with the channel locks and push it out as hard as I could and the connector end came off. It lifted up a little it seems as I can fit a flathead under the bolt flange thats on it. But I can't seem to get it to move anymore by prying on the flange.

So now I'm not sure what to do? Am I going to have to drop the rear axle down just to get on top of this thing to pry it out? I sprayed it down with some WD-40 to try and break down some rust and give it a tiny bit of lubrication but that doesn't seem to be helping at all which makes sense if it's sealed. It definitely broke down the rust around the sensor though.

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to pull the rear diff cover off to hopefully once and for all get this damn speed sensor out. I was wondering is there a good way to just jack up the body so the rear suspension drops down further so I have more access to the sensor/diff cover? Jacking it up on the axle seems pointless as it's just going to put the diff cover higher in the air and you can really reach the diff cover on the ground if you're going to do it that way?

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got something worked out so I have a bit more room, but I'll be damned if I can't get this damn sensor out! Even trying to push on it from below inside the diff case it isn't really moving......Not sure what to do. We are going on a trip in a couple days and I'd really like the damn speedo and cruise control to work!

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! It finally came out! Like 2 hours of prying from the bottom on the thing and it finally just pops right out....... UGH lol. Oh well at least it's out now. Just gotta clean up the diff cover and wire up the new connector and reinstall everything and hopefully we'll be good to go!

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and whoever the previous owner was or whoever worked on the diff before put transmission fluid in it. I cleaned it best I could and put synthetic gear oil in. Gears looked pretty good and didn't see any metal shavings at all really which I was surprised since it's got 130k miles.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.