Speedometer illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that my speedo is no longer well illuminated in the 30-45 mph area. Has anyone replaced a speedo bulb yet and is there anything unusual that I need to know? I'll poke my head up under the dash this weekend in the daylight, I just want to know about any "gotchas" in advance.

Thanks much!

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in my VW the 'bulb' is actually a LED thats soldered onto the circuit board......good luck :-k

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but VWs and Audis have nutty electrical stuff. I hope Jeep is more normal than that...

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, that's great, Bluphant! Thanks very much. Those drawings and instructions look pretty clear and it is a great service you do us all by posting them. =D> Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the part about removing the bezel and so forth.

I just got off the phone with the dealer and the parts guy didn't know if the bulbs were anything special, but he termed them "expensive" at $2.00 each.

I suppose I should buy a couple of them as long as I am going to bother. BTW, the truck has almost 55,000 miles on it and the bulb just went out recently. This is the first "failure" of any type in the 3 years I've owned my KJ.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emoto said:
Hey, that's great, Bluphant! Thanks very much. Those drawings and instructions look pretty clear and it is a great service you do us all by posting them. =D> Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the part about removing the bezel and so forth.

Notta prob - I did a quick search and cant seem to find the article that deals with removing the top bezel, but it's not hard. I'll look again later when I have some more time, if not I'll dig thru the manual and add to the existing post.

Emoto said:
I just got off the phone with the dealer and the parts guy didn't know if the bulbs were anything special, but he termed them "expensive" at $2.00 each.

LOL... if thats what is considered expensive then I guess I'm a millionaire.

Let us know how it goes, and if u have a digicam, snap some pix, I'll add them to the how-to. I find it's always good to have a realworld pic of things.

-Blu

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Notta prob - I did a quick search and cant seem to find the article that deals with removing the top bezel, but it's not hard. I'll look again later when I have some more time, if not I'll dig thru the manual and add to the existing post.

That'd be cool, but if fasteners are visible, then I should have no problem. I just haven't looked yet.

Emoto said:

BluPhant said:
LOL... if thats what is considered expensive then I guess I'm a millionaire.

No kidding. I was braced for the worst when he said "expensive".

BluPhant said:
Let us know how it goes, and if u have a digicam, snap some pix, I'll add them to the how-to. I find it's always good to have a realworld pic of things.

Hey, great idea. Will do. I do have a digital camera and don't mind at all. Hopefully I will get to the dealer this weekend and pay him up front so he can order these expensive parts... (as ridiculous as that sounds, he had none in stock)