Speedometer illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed lately that my speedo is no longer well illuminated in the 30-45 mph area. Has anyone replaced a speedo bulb yet and is there anything unusual that I need to know? I'll poke my head up under the dash this weekend in the daylight, I just want to know about any "gotchas" in advance.

Thanks much!

SRotblat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know in my VW the 'bulb' is actually a LED thats soldered onto the circuit board......good luck :-k

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but VWs and Audis have nutty electrical stuff. I hope Jeep is more normal than that...

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, that's great, Bluphant! Thanks very much. Those drawings and instructions look pretty clear and it is a great service you do us all by posting them. =D> Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the part about removing the bezel and so forth.

I just got off the phone with the dealer and the parts guy didn't know if the bulbs were anything special, but he termed them "expensive" at $2.00 each.

I suppose I should buy a couple of them as long as I am going to bother. BTW, the truck has almost 55,000 miles on it and the bulb just went out recently. This is the first "failure" of any type in the 3 years I've owned my KJ.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emoto said:
Hey, that's great, Bluphant! Thanks very much. Those drawings and instructions look pretty clear and it is a great service you do us all by posting them. =D> Hopefully I'll be able to figure out the part about removing the bezel and so forth.

Notta prob - I did a quick search and cant seem to find the article that deals with removing the top bezel, but it's not hard. I'll look again later when I have some more time, if not I'll dig thru the manual and add to the existing post.

Emoto said:
I just got off the phone with the dealer and the parts guy didn't know if the bulbs were anything special, but he termed them "expensive" at $2.00 each.

LOL... if thats what is considered expensive then I guess I'm a millionaire.

Let us know how it goes, and if u have a digicam, snap some pix, I'll add them to the how-to. I find it's always good to have a realworld pic of things.

-Blu

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BluPhant said:
Notta prob - I did a quick search and cant seem to find the article that deals with removing the top bezel, but it's not hard. I'll look again later when I have some more time, if not I'll dig thru the manual and add to the existing post.

That'd be cool, but if fasteners are visible, then I should have no problem. I just haven't looked yet.

Emoto said:

BluPhant said:
LOL... if thats what is considered expensive then I guess I'm a millionaire.

No kidding. I was braced for the worst when he said "expensive".

BluPhant said:
Let us know how it goes, and if u have a digicam, snap some pix, I'll add them to the how-to. I find it's always good to have a realworld pic of things.

Hey, great idea. Will do. I do have a digital camera and don't mind at all. Hopefully I will get to the dealer this weekend and pay him up front so he can order these expensive parts... (as ridiculous as that sounds, he had none in stock)

Latest posts

Members online