speedometer calibration for taller tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going up to 245 75 16 tires and am wondering how far the speedometer will be off. I figure 4 or 5 mph. Is there a way to recalibrate the speedometer? I hat when my speedo is off. I have 235 70 on now but I think they came with 225's. 02 liberty sport 4x4 3.7 pre-lowered.

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 265's on and didn't recalibrate the speedo. It's about 5 mph off at highway speed (less at slower speeds since it's a ratio), Jeep is going faster than the speedo registers. I always go 5 mph faster than the posted speed, cops never bother with that. So following the speed limit on the speedo gives me my 5. On the plus side, my Liberty is now putting "less miles" on the odometer than what's actually traveled. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going up to 245 75 16 tires and am wondering how far the speedometer will be off. I figure 4 or 5 mph. Is there a way to recalibrate the speedometer? I hat when my speedo is off. I have 235 70 on now but I think they came with 225's. 02 liberty sport 4x4 3.7 pre-lowered.

235-70-16s were optional size
Depending on year some can be changed other years not
On yours it can be, best to do it that way the computer can adjust shift points etc . Mines 4 mph off with my setup, played around with it and it was close enough since I was 4 off when brand new :icon_lol:

Latest posts

Members online