Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miller2

Reaction score
What is the preferred spark plug for an 04 Liberty Limited?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion the NGK's are junk,cahnged mine way before 30,000 and they where toast(over 0.090 gap).Replaced with good 'ol Auto Lites,pulled them at 30,000 and they look almost brand new still(gapped at 0.046 and I set then at 0.042)!

miller2

Reaction score
In my opinion the NGK's are junk,cahnged mine way before 30,000 and they where toast(over 0.090 gap).Replaced with good 'ol Auto Lites,pulled them at 30,000 and they look almost brand new still(gapped at 0.046 and I set then at 0.042)!

I'd agree NGK is junk. I was leaning toward the Autolite. Standard or Platinum?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use Champion...They suck compared to Bosch platinums. I'm going to redo it all soon :( Just seem to sputter at idle sometimes and I know they are not firing correctly. Gas mileage is slightly lower. I gapped them at factory specs. Sigh....

TopShapeCabby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The NGKs I took out had a gap of 0.075 to 0.080 (don't known the mileage on them). I put in new NGKs...not too impressed power wise & fuel consumption. I'm thinking of changing them again....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't use Champion...They suck compared to Bosch platinums. I'm going to redo it all soon :( Just seem to sputter at idle sometimes and I know they are not firing correctly. Gas mileage is slightly lower. I gapped them at factory specs. Sigh....
I wouldn't put champion plugs in a engine I was trying to blow up.Most of those fancy plugs that promise this and promise that are just plain junk,remember split fire plugs?The best plugs I have ever run in a vehicle has been Denso Iridium plugs.Ran them in my '75 Cutlass and my '84 Blazer(both used for racing with over 13:1 compression) but at $17-$60 a plug they don't make much sense for everyday use.They do make a world of difference if you plan on bumbing the compression up over 13:1.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
My KJ still has the factory NGK's in it. When I get around to it I will pull one to look at it. We'll see if the gap is still in spec and the plug is not discolored. I am not really ready for a plug change yet but curious to see what they look like.

I have used Autolite in the past with good results - but on different vehicles. Not a KJ.

I have used Champion also (in other vehicles) and was unimpressed to say the least. I don't know why they performed poorly and didn't last long.

I have used Bosch platinum's, GM plugs in GM applications, and some others that I can't remember. None performed as poorly as the Champions. I don't know why. I used the proper heat range plug.

I'm thinking maby an NGK, Autolite since I've had good experiences with them, or a Bosch Platinum but not sure yet.

It is also possible that a particular engine "likes" one particular brand plug over another. By that I mean it just seems to run better and last longer. This is a good thread so I hope it continues.

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just typed a bunch of crap and got an error when I posted it. Stupid world.

I said its best to blow all the crap out around the spark plug before taking the plug out. I took one out a few thousand miles ago to check the plugs and noticed some build-up of sand and such around the plug. I was worried it had fallen down into the piston so from now on im going to blow all it out before taking the plugs out.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said its best to blow all the crap out around the spark plug before taking the plug out. I took one out a few thousand miles ago to check the plugs and noticed some build-up of sand and such around the plug. I was worried it had fallen down into the piston so from now on im going to blow all it out before taking the plugs out.

Ditto on that....... Had that happen and now I always check first.

Dave

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put champion plugs in a engine I was trying to blow up.Most of those fancy plugs that promise this and promise that are just plain junk,remember split fire plugs?The best plugs I have ever run in a vehicle has been Denso Iridium plugs.Ran them in my '75 Cutlass and my '84 Blazer(both used for racing with over 13:1 compression) but at $17-$60 a plug they don't make much sense for everyday use.They do make a world of difference if you plan on bumbing the compression up over 13:1.

Iridium plugs are now available for ~$10 per plug & from many manufacturers:)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iridium plugs are now available for ~$10 per plug & from many manufacturers:)
Yes I know but they are not the same quility as Denso's,the plugs I used are the same one'e the top fueler's use and are ment to last in extreme pressures and heat.The other manufactures that now have Iridium plugs are a not as rugged and may be a better choice for lower compression street engines.Hear are the Denso's for the KJ(13.95,not to bad)http://densosparkplugs.carshopinc.c.../IK20?osCsid=6e0af7f6e92b9f94692d05c6d500a328

Last edited:

miller2

Reaction score
Well I went with Autolite Platinum. They split the difference between the standard plug and the more expensive Bosch Platinums. Before I put them in, anyone have any negative comment on this plug?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are good plugs miller2.

Anyone know what the difference is between single and double platinum? I believe the doubles were around $1 more per plug.. Not much, but I was wondering if it was worth it..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at Advance Auto Parts earlier today and they have plugs on sale until 5/26.

Autolite Platinum - $2.58 ....double platinum - $3.97 ...and the xp for $6.48

NGK Platinum/Iridium - $6.96

Bosch Platinum+ was $2.98....

Don't know if these sale prices were a good deal, or if you have an Advance near you. Just trying to help if you're ready for plugs.

Dave

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had any luck with autolites only used them in a fords before; but not the KJ. It's got standard ngk's in there after every 25k miles they're done. I've used ngk's in everything and never had a problem, just dont last that long. I like bosch platinums used to them in my 22re toyota pickup. I'm gonna put them in my KJ next. Seem to have lost about 4mpg since the lift and mt/r's. Maybe i'll try some bosch's this weekend to try and regain some mpg's.

Members online