Spark Plug Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have a 2003 Ltd which I have taken religiously for services every 3K miles as I bought a service plan up to 30K miles with CD. When my service plan ended I just took it for the regular 3K mile oil change at CD. I would like to possibly change my plugs on my own but don't know when I should do that? I am taking the Jeep for a 42K oil change this week.
What is a good spark plug to get that will hopefully improve performance.
How often should I change these plugs myself?
Thanks for your advice

MikeD0106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed mine at 56k *or somewhere around there*. I think that 50k is a pretty good number.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like to replace mine at every 20,000 miles. im only half way there for my first change up lol but yeah i figure ill keep em newer and avoid them getting worn out that way. i do believe 30,000 is the recommended interval but dont quote me on that.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed m.y OE plugs at 30K, & they were so worn I think I should have changed them at 20K. There was a previous post where many others said the same thing.

Do not have the dealer do this, and do not use Mopar plugs. Use Bosch or NGK plugs, they are much higher quality & should go 30K+.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed mine at 25K and they where well worn out. I can't image changing them at 60k.

I used NGK plugs which are the stock factory plugs. Two dollars a pieces and pretty easy to change.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK are the OEM? That's news to me! They usually make a great quality plug. With that info I'd recommend Bosch.

Gopherbeats

Reaction score
kjpilot said:
NGK are the OEM? That's news to me! They usually make a great quality plug. With that info I'd recommend Bosch.

Bosch are no good! ( at least thats what my fellow Jeepers tell me) I use Champion!
NGK are good for the Japanese cars, I would only use Champion in my Jeep, Good American Plug for a Good American Car.
And in the manual it says to change them at 30k... I did so and they would not have gone much past that.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Changed mine at 30K also....was a little disappointed in the wear of them for such low milage....probably coulda changed them sooner too..

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gopher Beats said:
Bosch are no good! ( at least thats what my fellow Jeepers tell me) I use Champion!
NGK are good for the Japanese cars, I would only use Champion in my Jeep, Good American Plug for a Good American Car.

Bosch is a good brand. I have found that using their gimmicky 4 electrode plugs or a platnum where copper is called for gives poor results, especially considering the higher price.

I have heard others say "NGK for japanese cars". It is totally illogical. It's like saying "Chinese food for Chinese, Tex-Mex for Texans" I have used NGKs in American cars, an American airplane, European cars, & yes Japanese cars, & they have made me into a dedicated customer. I suspect that the Mopar OEMs are crappy, because Mopar asked NGK to make crap. I'd also suspect that if you ordered NGKs from a parts store by spec, they'd be of the same high quality I am used to.

As far as Champion, they have quality control issues. I'm glad you have had no problems with them, but I have had many!

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, as a rule of thumb:

Copper plugs typically go for 30,000; Platnums go for 60,000.

should have mentioned this earlier! Obviously, this does not apply to Mopar OEM plugs.

Gopherbeats

Reaction score
well thats true.. I do like chinese and mexican food... and I am American hehe

I did find it interesting when I changed my spark plugs to find NGKs

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
Thanks

Hi team
Thanks so much for your feedback. It seems like the NGK's have ardent support in this forum. I would have changed my plugs this weekend but a silly teenage girl on her cell driving a massive GMC rammed into my wifes little Neon on Saturday morning [-X . So I was up at 7 AM trying to keep everyone calm while waiting for the five 0 to arrive. Such a freaking inconveience in our lives. Well that little incident ruined my weekend.

Anyway, the Neon is at the body shop and hopefully this weekend I can change the plugs, clean the Jeep, take some pics and post it in this forum.

You guys are awesome =D>
Thanks for the feedback.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Thanks

DJ Ebster said:
Hi team
Thanks so much for your feedback. It seems like the NGK's have ardent support in this forum. I would have changed my plugs this weekend but a silly teenage girl on her cell driving a massive GMC rammed into my wifes little Neon on Saturday morning [-X . So I was up at 7 AM trying to keep everyone calm while waiting for the five 0 to arrive. Such a freaking inconveience in our lives. Well that little incident ruined my weekend.

Anyway, the Neon is at the body shop and hopefully this weekend I can change the plugs, clean the Jeep, take some pics and post it in this forum.

You guys are awesome =D>
Thanks for the feedback.

That *****! hope your wife's ok.

I'm not gonna lie, i probally would have taken the cell phone from her and stomped on it with meh size 11 steeltoed boots. O:)

DJ Ebster

Reaction score
That's not the worst of it.
The collison center advised me that the damage is more than the car's value. The crappy part is I bough the Neon 4 weeks ago for $2600 as it was in excel condition. I fixed some mnior engine items and replaced all brakes which came to $1000. Now they will probably pay me out much less than what I spent in the past month. And I probably have to go and find another car. It ***** man
E