Spark Plug Question-Champion/Autolite.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sirthor1881

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took my 03 in for the lower ball joint recall, so they would stop calling me about it. But I had the lead Tech there tell me that I needed my Autolite plugs changed because they are bad for the engine. I questioned him as to why, but he never gave any clear reason. He told me to use only Champion plugs.

I was just curious if any Chrysler techs out there would know why he would say Autolites are bad for the Jeep, or if it was just his personal preference. I don't know but I am due to change them anyways.

Thanks.

Richard

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I took my 03 in for the lower ball joint recall, so they would stop calling me about it. But I had the lead Tech there tell me that I needed my Autolite plugs changed because they are bad for the engine. I questioned him as to why, but he never gave any clear reason. He told me to use only Champion plugs.

I was just curious if any Chrysler techs out there would know why he would say Autolites are bad for the Jeep, or if it was just his personal preference. I don't know but I am due to change them anyways.

Thanks.

Richard

get the ball joints done and run. Autolite's I have are the best plugs I've ever bought.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, many here are running the Autolite Double Platinum with good results.

The OEM copper core NGK's are good too. Not expensive.

The plugs need changing every 30,000 as the gap wears good. At least mine did. They are not hard to change. You will have to stretch for #6 a little but not bad.

Dave

Sirthor1881

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have pulled them to check them a while back, but I just thought that was strange for them to say that. I have always run Autolites, and never had issues. I ran NGK's in my turbo AWD DSM when I had it and ran high boost without any issues. Well I have it back now, I don't think I will take it to that stealership again.

thanks!

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine runs well on the Autolites and the 3.8L in my T&C runs very well on NGK's. Both are great plugs. It is BS that the KJ needs to only run on Champion plugs.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is crazy. That is like telling you that your Jeep will only run on Chevron gas, and never put Shell in it.

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you having work done other than the ball joint re-call? If not, how would they know what plugs were installed, unless they took them out, and why would they take them out if you weren't having that kind of work done?
I'm just curious

Last edited:

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to highjack. Does anyone know what the OEM plugs were? My KJ had NGK's worn to .055" about a month ago when I installed Autolites. about 25,000mi on the car.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely you had the stock plugs in yet, ( the NKG's) with the 25,000 and .55 that's about right for them
I did an 06 here a while back with 38,000 miles and the stock plugs, 4 out of 6 were like .60 or so.
The guy who owns it is about 75, he spun the tires leaving!

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely you had the stock plugs in yet, ( the NKG's) with the 25,000 and .55 that's about right for them
I did an 06 here a while back with 38,000 miles and the stock plugs, 4 out of 6 were like .60 or so.
The guy who owns it is about 75, he spun the tires leaving!

Thanks but are you tempting me, 1/2" plus or .60"?:party52:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online