spark plug gap, i have no sticker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kj had its plugs changed right before I got it last summer, according to the carfax, but I just wanna be sure and change them out. After all, they are cheap. Im going with either the ngk #6987 or the autolite #3923, both are copper.

I've read on here that you just go off of the sticker under the hood for the correct gap for your year. The dealership that detailed it before I bought it removed the sticker on the radiator support, I can tell they scrubbed it off. Anyone have a definite correct gap on an 03' 3.7I limited kj?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Print it out, stick it on, then you're good as new. :D

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a small privately owned dealership, used cars. Haha, I haggled enough on the guy. He would have punched me if I ask for anything else.

The plugs, however, were changed at a dodge dealership, was noted on the carfax. I just changed the plugs and found a few mistakes. One was gapped at 023, another at 050, and one was only hand tight. Must have dropped the 023 before They installed it? They did look new though, so they did change them. The 050 one wasn't because of wear. I started it up and it purred like a soft fluffy kitten. It didn't sound rough before, just smoother now.

Just goes to show that u have to check everything

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I just changed the plugs and found a few mistakes. One was gapped at 023, another at 050, and one was only hand tight...
Sounds like they had no clue so they went for "one of everything".

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like they had no clue so they went for "one of everything".

More than likely he was like Leo.
Leo was an old mechanic I worked with at the Ford Dealership.
He never checked plug gaps, he said he was paid to install the plugs, not check and see if the manufacturer set them right or not . Yeah he was an idiot, never could figure how he got a job there:icon_lol:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow...just wow...for the lowly price of a simple ratchet/spark plug socket, new plugs, and incidental lubricants how many Jeeps must suffer?

I completely understand if one feels overwhelmed by doing one's own maintenance work, but most Jeepers I know will jump at the chance to work for pizza, beer, and free stickers for the beer fridge!

Let's network!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...most Jeepers I know will jump at the chance to work for pizza, beer, and free stickers for the beer fridge!

Let's network!

I would make it worth someone's while to show me how to do brakes. I'm not rich, but I could at least ensure them of a pleasant afternoon. I'd do all the work while they tell me what to do.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ If you want to tackle it, I'll loan you my Power Bleeder...the pads and rotors are the easy part...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would make it worth someone's while to show me how to do brakes. I'm not rich, but I could at least ensure them of a pleasant afternoon. I'd do all the work while they tell me what to do.

Come on back up to Ohio I'll help you out
Went to an "actual school" :gr_grin: to learn how to properly do brakes / suspension / alignments etc back in the day . Thats all I did from 73-78 on Mondays / Tuesdays / Thursdays and Fridays

AutoXSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely he was like Leo.
Leo was an old mechanic I worked with at the Ford Dealership.
He never checked plug gaps, he said he was paid to install the plugs, not check and see if the manufacturer set them right or not . Yeah he was an idiot, never could figure how he got a job there:icon_lol:

Well, Must have been a relative of his?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I may be in Cleveland next week. Might be able to drop down to the Columbus area for a day. It's all still up in the air right now because I am waiting for a callback from my interview Tuesday.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i may be in cleveland next week. Might be able to drop down to the columbus area for a day. It's all still up in the air right now because i am waiting for a callback from my interview tuesday.

good luck

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Come on back up to Ohio I'll help you out
Went to an "actual school" :gr_grin: to learn how to properly do brakes / suspension / alignments etc back in the day . Thats all I did from 73-78 on Mondays / Tuesdays / Thursdays and Fridays

I would give my left nut for you to teach me suspension for a day!