Spares stash / survival kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I personally ( just my stooooopid feeling ) assume times might get tough, I was thinking of
buying some spares which one might consider some sort of 'survival kit' or whatever!

What would be the top 10 spares You'd keep if living in the middle of nowere...possibly out of cash too.

Am I paranoid, do I need a shrink??? Feel free to express Yourself (I believe in freedom of speech :) ).

:)imo: Yes, I do need one! ) Have a nice weekend!

PS : no need to write a full list of ten, just whatever comes to mind. No, I don't need a block heater,
don't hate me for that!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean for survival when 12/21/2012 comes and the whole world is trashed? Or just stuffing the KJ for "the end of days", like an extended camping trip? Some random thoughts.

Guns, ammo - same caliber handgun and rifle so you can have a crapload of interchangable ammo. Reloading supplies maybe.

Peanut butter and jelly or anything else that keeps without refrigeration.

Plenty of potable water or a supply of it.

Gasoline/oil supply.

Pleanty of big candles/oil lamps and fire starting supplies since flashlights are no good once you run out of batteries.

CB radio/ham radio.

You could go on and on.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^:happy175:

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rollinglaugh.gif x2 LibertyTC. You'd be surprised by how many people forget about that...

No Dave, it's not about the 2012 thing..... And I cannot legally carry weapons here...
But yes, provided one has some sort of compressor a .50 'big bore' would be handy...

Mainly, I was thinking of spare parts for the KJ, and yes, items one needs are countless.

Sewing kit, insect repellant, sunglasses, binoculars, my 3D cell Maglite, oils for the rig etc..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Spare EPDM Serpentine belt & Dayco tensioner/idler pulley assm.
Tire plug kit with Real glue bottle/compressor.
Spare clothes,raingear,(umbrella)
Recovery equipment/strap. & metal shovel.
Beer.

Last edited:

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the beer :)

- reliable tools, spare nuts and bolts, lockable pliers, a machete....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't list all of my "in case of emergency" spares but they include about everthing but spare windshields, even have a spare front diff ready to go
Mostly on a road trip, enough tools to rebuild the KJ, spare CVs, ujoints, belts , hoses, oil, trans fluid , diff fluid, idler pulley etc etc etc

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunscreen/a good hat with a brim and mosqueto repellant and mosqueto net for your climate.

Tarp/paracord or rope.

Fishing waders for hiking through water/mud if you need to get strapped out or something.

Fire starting stuff/road flares.

Flashlites/batteries.

First aid kit.

Fire extinguisher.

A good entrenching tool.

Good knife.

Duct tape/Gorilla tape

Extra jack, jack stand, wooden blocks to put under the jack to make a solid base. Tire plug kit and air compressor, pliers for pulling a nail out of a tire, etc.misc tools, gloves.

Recovery equipment, straps and shackles etc.

Just some of the stuff I carry.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
And you wonder why the KJ gets bad gas mileage...LOL.
Tom sounds like he takes the whole garage with him and Dave sounds like he may rope or tape somebody up while the Kj is on the jack, while fishing!

Last edited:

azmotoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get one of these and stock it! The teardrop is the simplest form of the survivalist with a few of the amenities designed to optimize your 'camping' experience.

Attachments

• Needles.jpg
    Needles.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 27

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice trailer, Azmotoman, and, unlike a camper, it can be easily camouflaged...

I recall seeing ( forgot to bookmark, grrr...) a custom KJ with no rear doors, renegade style lamps on rooftop,
which was more similar to an infirmary (or a UN vehicle..) than a camper. Rear windows were home style 'sliding'.
If you think of some custom Toyot.. FJ80 You'll understand what I mean.

Anyway, it is not a 'camper friendly' environment around here.... too many.....'predators'.

IvaKJ2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean for survival when 12/21/2012 comes and the whole world is trashed? Or just stuffing the KJ for "the end of days", like an extended camping trip? Some random thoughts.

Guns, ammo - same caliber handgun and rifle so you can have a crapload of interchangable ammo. Reloading supplies maybe.

Peanut butter and jelly or anything else that keeps without refrigeration.

Plenty of potable water or a supply of it.

Gasoline/oil supply.

Pleanty of big candles/oil lamps and fire starting supplies since flashlights are no good once you run out of batteries.

CB radio/ham radio.

You could go on and on.

Dave

wasn't the world suppose to turn inside out when Y2K hit? :shrug: I guess it got hit by itself cause nothing happened.

Megalos

Reaction score
If you've seen the movie 2010, then you know that you can get around armogeddon with a limo. They drove it through a building with no problems.

KingMick217

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget hauling water unless you're going through the desert. Get yourself one of those water bottles with a built-in purifier. Then I'd suggest a good k-bar knife, 30ft of 5-50 cord, a first-aid kit, and if you can find one a M6 rifle/shotgun. Anything else can be fabricated or acquired. As far as spare parts... A serpentine belt, fuses, and a puncture repair kit. Anything else would be excessive what-if planning IMHO.
If it is illegal to carry a firearm in your vehicle, I would get a small cheap blow gun. I'm from Montana where the idea of not carrying a gun is an entirely foreign concept.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the clues, all good points, but I didn't mean I would be on the run, on the brink of illegality.
Things might get harder for a host of reasons, sometimes one doesn't even realize they do...

Just getting spares for my vehicle is becoming harder and harder, not to mention expensive, waste of time,
distance,and so on.
Same might go for food, water, everyday supplies etc etc. I might be pessimistic, cannot blame those
who aren't, maybe it's just me :shrug:

Just as an example, last year I tore a C/V boot. Easy fix ? Nope, getting an OE spare was an ordeal, lucky
that a friend of mine got one quickly and reasonably priced, in the meantime I had a crappy one installed,
so same boot was replaced twice within four day, nice ...!!!
Oil I was putting in my KJ rose 40% overnight, had to resort to a cheaper one, no Walmart sales here...

Bear in mind that here it's a different environment... (and town got flooded last week!!!)

Even stashing tools might make sense, are we sure that we'll always find reliable US ( or german, italian,
swedish. spanish ) quality tools and hardware?
Guess it's already too late for that though... :(

Not ranting, just trying to cope with a changing world.. ( I've got a wish list of OE spares anyway... :D )

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the clues, all good points, but I didn't mean I would be on the run, on the brink of illegality.
Things might get harder for a host of reasons, sometimes one doesn't even realize they do...

Just getting spares for my vehicle is becoming harder and harder, not to mention expensive, waste of time,
distance,and so on.
Same might go for food, water, everyday supplies etc etc. I might be pessimistic, cannot blame those
who aren't, maybe it's just me :shrug:

Just as an example, last year I tore a C/V boot. Easy fix ? Nope, getting an OE spare was an ordeal, lucky
that a friend of mine got one quickly and reasonably priced, in the meantime I had a crappy one installed,
so same boot was replaced twice within four day, nice ...!!!
Oil I was putting in my KJ rose 40% overnight, had to resort to a cheaper one, no Walmart sales here...

Bear in mind that here it's a different environment... (and town got flooded last week!!!)

Even stashing tools might make sense, are we sure that we'll always find reliable US ( or german, italian,
swedish. spanish ) quality tools and hardware?
Guess it's already too late for that though... :(

Not ranting, just trying to cope with a changing world.. ( I've got a wish list of OE spares anyway... :D )

Yeah but at least you can live off the land where you are. Here you will freeze to death. A couple of years ago we got a bad storm and lost power for 2 days. Nothing was open. You couldn't even get gas anywhere. If not for the woodstove I would have froze. Getting fuel would be a major problem without electricity so you better have a stash of gas and a hand pump or you won't need spare parts.

Dave

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure Dave, You're quite right, we cannot be prepared against everything, just try to make hard times ( if any ) a bit 'easier'...

Good point about Mother's Nature resources too :) And yes, we take combustibles for granted, but..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure Dave, You're quite right, we cannot be prepared against everything, just try to make hard times ( if any ) a bit 'easier'...

Good point about Mother's Nature resources too :) And yes, we take combustibles for granted, but..

Find yourself an old carberatored CJ with none of the modern electronic crap that you can keep running easier.

Dave