Spare Tire Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepdaddy65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am moving my spare tire to a custom roof rack I built and would like to know if there is anything available aftremarket, or what others have done to plug or cover the holes from the original tire carrier on the back of my 05 Liberty. Thanks in advance for the help

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am moving my spare tire to a custom roof rack I built and would like to know if there is anything available aftremarket, or what others have done to plug or cover the holes from the original tire carrier on the back of my 05 Liberty. Thanks in advance for the help

dont have any ideas, but would like to understand why people want their tire on the roof? i see a lot of grand cherokees running around like this, what is the deal?

jeepdaddy65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting the tire up there because everytime I tow something I have to take the tire off and put it in the back of the Jeep. Or I would have to get a very long reciever and ball for my hitch, I use a bike carrier now and then and tow a camper every weekend, the tire is in way. If I opted for the longer reciever for my hitch that would allow me to keep the tire on the back, it would reduced the tongue weight capacity on the vehicle. It's easier to put the tire on the roof

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting the tire up there because everytime I tow something I have to take the tire off and put it in the back of the Jeep. Or I would have to get a very long reciever and ball for my hitch, I use a bike carrier now and then and tow a camper every weekend, the tire is in way. If I opted for the longer reciever for my hitch that would allow me to keep the tire on the back, it would reduced the tongue weight capacity on the vehicle. It's easier to put the tire on the roof

very well then. just curious as I think of my own situation. my wife drives the liberty, the spare tire is heavy for her, there is no way she would ever get it off the roof in an emergency, hell I am not sure she would get it off the back either! :D

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What kind of hitch do you have? I have putnam and the Receiver sticks out far enough to be even with the spare.

The is a picture on my page here. It's not from an angel though so you really can't see how far it sticks out.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2539200

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's one KJ running around here with no spare on the swing gate. They just painted the heads on some carriage bold and painted them it looks like.

I like the idea of relocating the spare, but I'm not sure I want it on the roof either.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a guy that did that. I cant remember his name but I know he made his own wax. :)

I have no problem clearing the spare on mine with the drawtite hitch. Tow a boat and a camper fairly often.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably the mopar hitch. I have the same problem too.

I looked at my hitch on the way out of work today. It's doesn't stick out as far I thought but it sticks out a inch or two passed the bumper but it does stick father than the mopar hitch

jeepdaddy65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been really busy at work, so I have not been able to respond. I have the factory hitch and tow package. One thing I don't like about taking the spare off the tailgate is that the rear bumper is cut out for the bottom of the tire to clear the bumper. I might just opt for a longer reciever and see how it goes. Still tossing the idea around.

aksloan

Reaction score
Been away for awhile but when I recently had my spare off to repaint the holder I was shocked at how loose the rear end was on wet roads, mostly going up hills with sharp trurns. I thought something was terribly wrong with the tires but then remembered that the weight of the tire was missing. Once back on it holds the road the way it should.

I'm just wondering though.... should I put a 50# sand bag in the back to give it just a little extra hold?

vaughan1966

Reaction score
Been away for awhile but when I recently had my spare off to repaint the holder I was shocked at how loose the rear end was on wet roads, mostly going up hills with sharp trurns. I thought something was terribly wrong with the tires but then remembered that the weight of the tire was missing. Once back on it holds the road the way it should.

I'm just wondering though.... should I put a 50# sand bag in the back to give it just a little extra hold?

your defeating the idea of taking the spare off the back with sand inside the libby + 50lbs won't make a differents. You might change at your driving habits.

Latest posts

Members online