Spare Tire Cover-Good or Bad?

Spare Tire Cover On or Off?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, how did I know this thread would be here? 8-[

I think its best to keep it on. My spare tire rim looks as good as the day it did when i got the Jeep. I keep the rim cleaned, polished, and waxed, along with Megs All season Dressing on the back, front, and tread of the tire. im thinking about rotating the spare tire in even though the other tires have 18k on them. I want to get 5 new tires when the time comes to get new tires. O:)

rooster66

Reaction score
First thing I just came accross this site and it's amazing!!! Secondly I have a 02 liberty sport and it has had a cover on since I bought it. After more than 4 yrs the spare looks like the first day I got it.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a mixed answer to make you think.

If you keep it on, you should periodically take it off (after ever rain or wet trail) and let the cover, wheel, and tire dry out and to clean them. With good maintenance, there should never be an issue keeping the cover on. If you don't care for the cover, wheel, and tire, you could have issues down the road.

The question: Can you and are you willing to do the needed care?

Covers are nice and you can get something you like designed on it to make your KJ be different.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My spare tire looks new as well.

I actually take it off (and coat it with my dressing of choice at the time) when I wash my Jeep and put it back on when done. Since I include my spare in my tire rotation I don't think it matters much as far as UV rays are concerned.

Besides, I think it looks better naked!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
I keep it off.

rims get or got corroded w/ it on.

really dont have much time to tend to such things....so i just left it off. might put it back on later

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The covers protect the tire well against UV rays so they don't dry rot...I leave mine on most of the time, but I like my wheels a lot, and in nice weather I do take it off from time to time. When I go to a bigger tire, I'm contemplating even getting a new cover to fit, I haven't decided yet.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
The covers protect the tire well against UV rays so they don't dry rot
X2, especially out here in the desert. I'm pretty sure I'll need to get a larger cover when I change my spare out to a 245/75, it barely fits on the 235/70 I have on there right now.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is covered but it is the ugly oem goodyear. But if it was a decent A/T I'd take the cover off and air it out and show it off and do 5 tire rotations.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is off because I can't fit the cover over the tire I have on it. However, I still kept it off when running stock size tires. Here in Michigan we get pounded with salt through the winters and during the summer there is a lot of road construction equating to dust and road debris. By keeping it off I was able to eliminate build up that I might not have been able to attend to because of laziness to take the cover off. I ran the Jeep through the car wash, or hand washed it many times though. Winter time I try to get to the wash at least once a week, depending on the salt buildup.

Since your in Florida it may be good to keep it on. Dry rot is a issue but that can be reduced by parking in shaded locations and giving the Jeep a bath throughout the month.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
The covers protect the tire well against UV rays so they don't dry rot...I leave mine on most of the time, but I like my wheels a lot, and in nice weather I do take it off from time to time. When I go to a bigger tire, I'm contemplating even getting a new cover to fit, I haven't decided yet.

while you are right, since there is nothing that I can do for the other four, I don't care for UV or anything else damaging spare. It is spare, I would rather have good looks than cover up and protect it from UV rays.
I don't have a cover, and I like it like this.
Although it looks very good with full black cover as well. I had the dealer's cover and removed all the letters from it.

You must be registered for see images

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My .02

Leave the cover off, and put the tire into the rotation with the other ones.

This way you:

remember to clean it

dont have to worry about buildup under the cover

prevent the drying caused by the tire being in one positon all the time

get more mileage out of your tires by using all 5.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
thecause17 said:

while you are right, since there is nothing that I can do for the other four, I don't care for UV or anything else damaging spare. It is spare, I would rather have good looks than cover up and protect it from UV rays.
I don't have a cover, and I like it like this.
Although it looks very good with full black cover as well. I had the dealer's cover and removed all the letters from it.

Well for those who don't rotate the 5th in with the other wheels, the tire on the spare may be on there the life of the vehicle, where as the other 4 will be replaced long before any UV damage would occur. The spare could be on there for years, on a vehicle with 100k+ miles, where the other tires would never be around that long. That's when damage could be done to a tire left uncovered for that long of a period.

My spare is an original tire, but it has been run before, I know this because there are a couple stones in the treads. I don't know if it was just a one time thing, or if it was actually rotated in for a while...has plenty of tread on it though. When I go up in size, I will most like replace it as well.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I leave mine on year round....with that being said though, i'm coming up on 4 years on the same cover....and my american flag is almost completely white.....still havent found a good cover that I like at a good price....

I do take it off about once a month and clean the wheel and tire...as dirt and grime still get in there. I'll also take it off and drive down to the gas station to make sure I keep the proper amount of air in the spare. A lot of good a spare tire would do should you need it and it's got no air in it....lol.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NOOO! I wasnt paying attention and voted the wrong one!

Anyways, I'm sure you know my opinion already lol, but I say no cover. Armor all the tires, polish the rim every time you wash it, and put it into rotation. I don't really think there is a "better" option, more just a matter of personal preference on looks.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you have really nice tires, I say, keep it off, and show off that spare! Plus my cover started looking bad... the white in the "Jeep" started to look bad... in all honesty.

Plus I do a five-tire rotation, so it gets used and doesn't just sit there waiting for a blow-out.

KJ808

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you keep it off, it would seem like you do a lot of 'outdoor activities'

If it's on, then it would seem like you're more 'urbanized'

just an observance... :-k

Latest posts

Members online