Source for rebuilt heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy snikes, $325 for one head, plus your old head as a core. Don't you have any good machine shops in your area to save you a bundle, or is yours badly damaged/non rebuildable? And if yours isn't rebuildable, expect to pay more for the replacement head since it's not a usable "like core head" to them.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Holy snikes, $325 for one head, plus your old head as a core. Don't you have any good machine shops in your area to save you a bundle, or is yours badly damaged/non rebuildable? And if yours isn't rebuildable, expect to pay more for the replacement head since it's not a usable "like core head" to them.

325 turned out to be pretty cheap for rebuilt ones. I thought it was pricy too at first until I checked around my area. 285 for a rebuild not including 125 to clean and resurface OR PARTS. I'm debating on just a resurface. The problem is I've got 160k on them and some tapping in cold weather so thought a rebuild would be best. As far as a core, mine are in very good condition.

I've got two more shops to check. Thanks

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lash adjusters and rockers make up a lot of that price. I bought a pair from advance. $800 plus $200 core.

Considering that a good used 3.7 for an 02 brings $1700 and up around here, and I had $1800 into a rebuild with both heads replaced and all bearings, I did well. That was. With me doing all labor

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Lash adjusters and rockers make up a lot of that price. I bought a pair from advance. $800 plus $200 core.

Considering that a good used 3.7 for an 02 brings $1700 and up around here, and I had $1800 into a rebuild with both heads replaced and all bearings, I did well. That was. With me doing all labor

Things are pricy in MD even out in the sticks where I live. That's the problem with rebuilding mine, they don't include parts and I saw the HLAs can be up to 16 apiece for Mopar. Rockers and cam are probably okay but I'd like to swap the HLAs no matter what. I haven't done anything like this in a long time and never on a OHC so I wasn't expecting the cost. I could disassemble the whole thing, have them clean things up and reassemble myself. All those TTY bolts though.

I checked Advanced, Rock auto, Napa even the "zone". They all seem to have Moore's but can't find much good or bad about them.

Napa does some machine stuff around here too but haven't checked their rebuild cost.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my heads were advance, and came complete. Cams, cam bearing caps, lash adjusters, valves, valve seals, springs, retainers, rockers.

Literally complete, reman heads with warranty (excluding overheating, for which there are caps/dry sensors that indicate overheating). Bolt them on. $400 plus core EACH. I did both since one was bad and may as well match them for the best performance. Frankly, that is a deal. You wait 3 days for them, maybe a week, but they are good to go no questions asked, unlike the possibility of yours needing this that or another part to be rebuilt, which can quickly become $800 a head in parts.

Choose the path of least resistance.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Well, my heads were advance, and came complete.

Bolt them on. $400 plus core EACH...

the possibility of yours needing this that or another part to be rebuilt, which can quickly become $800 a head in parts.

The CHI heads are complete bolt on too for 325. Seems like a big operation but who can tell anymore. They have >4000 reviews on ebay and they all sound glowing. There is no core fee as long as you send your old one(s) back (prepaid shipping) within 30 days. Mine are already off and sitting on the garage floor so that's not a problem.

Like you point out for a bolt on rebuild of my heads, the shop I checked would be over 400 not including any parts needing replacement so I won't be going that route.

I wouldn't get anything but a complete bolt on reman and 400 is not bad at all. I've seen all kind of prices from 300 to 800 per head. Do you know what brand the Advanced heads were? I see they have Spartan and Moore's. Haven't heard much about either. Those pesky valve seats worry me.

Still haven't dismissed just going with a clean and resurface for 125 per head but thought it wise to replace with 160k and since I've got them off.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spartans. They only use the newer 04 and up valve seats, iirc there was mention of them having a cross pin installed as well as pressed in.

25000 miles on it (friend bought it) with no issue but a crack developing in the radiator.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Thanks, I hadn't really considered them in the past cause couldn't find any reviews but sounds pretty good to me. That bad valve seat thing seems to show quick in a rebuild.

Why can't we get a decent radiator for these things.:whymewhyme:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a radiator at the local core rebuilder right now. He is making a full aluminum one using mine as a template. Will not work with a 3.7, though...It will be 2x full core. That will work with the 4.7 and one pusher, one puller fan.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man with the price of them I'm glad I have a pair of brand new Mopar under the workbench hiding out. Also have new lifters etc in the cupboard
Guess its been a while since I had a set of heads done

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last head I had completely rebuilt (and shaved) was a little over 6 years ago for $215. It was an overhead cam 4 cylinder, which is one pair of valves more than one of our heads has. Hourly rates may have gone up a little since then, but not a lot.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the "clean and shave" for now. 250 for the pair. I don't think mine are bad enough yet to warrant that much of an investment. If I was rebuilding the whole thing like JeepCoMJ that would be a different story. Good to know the Advanced heads are a good source. That's an easy get for me and easier than shipping cores back.

I haven't had anything like this done in about 15 years, and back up north it was way less but a long time ago. Back then I had access to things and the time to do more of that stuff myself too. Looks like most labor rates around here are 80-100 per hour. :mfr_omg:

I'm thinking of a career change.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like most labor rates around here are 80-100 per hour. :mfr_omg:
I'm thinking of a career change.

That's about where it is around here too. Don't forget, for machine shop work that's man and machine, not just labor. Expensive equipment has to get paid for somehow.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Man with the price of them I'm glad I have a pair of brand new Mopar under the workbench hiding out. Also have new lifters etc in the cupboard
Guess its been a while since I had a set of heads done

BTW Tom, I've seen this pattern from you in other threads. I'm beginning to think you may have a bit of a hoarding issue. :signs8: :laughing1:

Probably just too much to do and too little time like me.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Picked up my cleaned and resurfaced heads from the machine shop. Found a shop about 5 miles from my house that cost 125 bucks for both so I'm happy. They look great now and he said they were warped but not too bad. This shop will also rebuild both for less than 300 not including any replacement parts. Also picked up some extra anti-seize and a torque angle meter. Looks like I've got everything so this weekend I'll try to put it all back together.

Anyone ever use any of that tack spray on the HG? The FSM calls for nothing but clean surfaces.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the valve seals and relap the valves. It's easy, and the tools can be rented from most advance, vatozone, and Carquest.