Sound in engine bay, maybe serpentine belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I already have done searches but to no avail.

Last friday I noticed a new sound coming from my engine. I drove a good 40 miles that day and then popped the hood to see where it was coming from. To me it seems like its not coming from the engine, but from one of the pulleys on the serpentine belt. the best way to describe it is the sound you would hear when pulling the e brake and trying to drive, or even the sound of bad breaks, like a scrapping rattle. its worse at start up but tends to quiet down after driving. No overheating, oils full, PS works, breaks work, charging works, and ac works. any input on what it could be before I take it to a mech?

piaa_nissan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tensioner pulley can be a culprit when your getting noise. I replace it when I change my serp belt just to keep things tip top.
Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tensioner pulley x2. Had same issue. Good way to tell is to put a long screw driver onto the body of the tensioner, aka NOT the part that moves. You will be able to feel vibrations and such. This was how I was taught and how I verified my tensioner was bad. Good luck!

-J

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad tensioner or pulleys on the tensioner. more likely to be the pulley, but if you've got high mileage, the spring in the tensioner itself can/will fail. I've replaced them on 3 of the 5 KJ's I've built now, for the exact same sound.