Sorry, a few more questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flatfoot

Reaction score
Hello to all.

I have a few more questions to ask about purchasing a liberty and hope some of you can answer some or all of my questions.

1) No liberty exists the way I want it within a 50 mile radius. The dealer has offered to order from factory for me.
He told me it would take about 5 or 6 weeks.
a) Is there anything wrong with ordering from factory?
b) When he tells me 5 or 6 weeks is he blowing smoke or do you think
thats a viable amount of time.?

2) The stock roofrails, claims a weight limit of I believe a 150 lbs. If I get an aftermarket rack, much like the basket ones I see in photos on this site, would the rate limit be increased because they seem to be set over the pillars which might increase the weight capacity?????

3) My wife is short and has a knee that has been injured. We would need running boards to help her get up into the jeep. Anything wrong with getting the flat runningboards(she doesnt want tubular, or helper step)?
Does anyone have these on their liberty? I know its a dealer installed option.

4) Here is what I am looking for and the price quoted(I havent bargained yet, but that is the opening price),
I am looking at the liberty sport with c package, automatic trannie,
select trac transfer case, and supplemental side air bags. (aftermarked basket and running board price not included)
Dealer is asking 22,064(which includes 3000 dollar rebate), plus tax, tags, mv etc. What do you think?
The way I figure it, I would be getting it at around invoice and dealer would make the holdback.

5) Any other option(s) do I really need or should definately have?

We Like the Khaki colored fwiw.

Much regards

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I will say is, ALWAYS order from the factory if you can. You get it exactly how you want it and you save money, period. The only way you will not save money is if you buy it months into the new model year when dealers are dying to get rid of the previous year and will sell them for thousands under invoice, plus any incentives that may or may not be going on at the time. And of course it takes 5-6 weeks, you're talking about a car being built from scratch and shipped by rail and truck through different depot transfer points. Not to mention they do not run the factories nonstop. Factories shut down during slow periods to allow orders to build up so they get the most usage out of their workers during the times they are open. Now, in the case of the Liberty this may not be totally true considering how well they sell and the factory may actually stay open all the time, but no matter what it is going to take at least a month to get it.

DO NOT accept paying more than $100 or so over invoice, not including rebates. You're bringing the sale to the dealer and his only work is ordering it...and that takes no work at all. They don't "deserve" to mkae a profit to offset the money fronted for vehicles sitting on their lot and for the upkeep of housing them. This is your car, ordered only for you, from the factory. When it comes the window sticker will actually say Built For: and your name. For his troubles he is getting holdback, DCx dealer incentives, your potential future business, etc. Dealer holdback on a car like that is going to be in the $600 range, so don't let them make you believe they are not making any money off the sale. If they won't give you $100 over invoice before rebates, make a call to Helfman Jeep in Houston, TX and they will drop ship it from the factory to you for that price. That's right, they order the car, give it to you for $100 over the DEALER's price, then you get all the rebates, and it shows up at any dealer in your area that you choose along with their usual shipment of vehicles. You just show up, prove who you are, and get the car. I would choose a dealer that refused to sell me the car for $100 or less over invoice just to rub it in their face that since they were not willing to, someone else did, and it showed up at their very own lot, just for giggles. The people at Helfman are fabulous guys and I do long distance business through them all the time for parts (makeitmopar.com), warranty, and drop shipped vehicles.

As far as running boards...get them if that is what you need. I would also have advocated getting the tow package since adding in the cooling afterwards is a total pain in the butt, and you save quite a bit of money by having anything installed at the factory rather than by you, plus it is already on there. That way the tow hooks, skid plates and all come pre-installed. Get anything you could possibly want pre-installed since you are ordering from the factory and have a choice. EVIC, Side Curtain Airbags, Heated Seats, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates. These are all things people are scrambling to install themselves after the fact when you have the opportunity to just order it that way, cheap.

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the step rails and basket info, I'm clueless.

As far as the other topics I would check to see if the dealer is willing to "import" one of the Liberty's from another dealership outside your 50-mile range.
I've only ordered one vehicle through the factory and it took a long time to get it. I too, was quoted around 4-6 weeks, but I recall it being right around three months. Also, I would think you have less bargaining power ordering through the factory...that was why I got the Jeep I did from the dealer...not exactly how I would have ordered it, but super close. And by doing so, I got a heck of a deal (at least in my eyes I did). In a nutshell, I paid right around $6,250 less than sticker on a Sport. Of course this is including the $3,000 rebate but I got three years of free oil changes along with it. Much less than invoice.

I think you should stick to the local option...even if it means traveling one hour to find it. Or, as stated earlier, have the dealer get it for you.

While "theTitan" has some sound advice above, it's all preference. Fact of the matter is dealers are heavily compensated with moving "x" amount of vehicles on certain days (weekends), months, or whatever...hence why they're willing to take more of a hit on the price (well below invoice) in order to move the vehicles quicker.

Good luck- \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yeah, if you can, order from the factory! The Jeep that I have now is 90% as I would have ordered it (I'd have ordered offroad package), and I couldn't be happier. The last one? ugh...

Anyway...

The best part about a factory order is that your name appears on the window sticker! \:D/

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What everyone is saying is true. I have ordered 4 vehicles in the past and only one took three months to get due to a rail strike. The others pretty much arrived within six weeks or faster. These days you can track orders.

I don't know about the roof rack capacity.

If the running boards (or anything elce you want-even your rear end gear ratio) are an option, then you can order it that way. If not it can be dealer installed and would then be included in the warranty. If you did it yourself then it wouldn't be.

As far as the pricing, I havn't checked lately. Make the best deal you can.

The downside is the wait. But the upside is you will be getting exactly what you want.

In the end you will be happier with it, and it is actually cheaper to get what you want from the factory and you won't have to install it yourself or pay someone elce to do it.

Good luck with your decision.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online