Something u might want to keep an eye on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpjeeper2000

Reaction score
My friend has a Liberty and she had those aftermarket clear tail lights put in and one of them went out so she took it to the dealer and they looked at it and said the guy that installed them didnt seal around them good and the salt from the road had croaded the wiring harness and it would be like $300.00 for a new one to be installed, so I told her to bring it over and I looked at it and it was croaded alright bad!! so I told her to have new one installed so she had another guy try and install the harness (cheaper) and when he got to lookin it was croaded all the way under the back floor board so she took it back to the dealer and they looked at it agian and said that this was a problem that has been popping up across the nation bad wires!!!! u guys just beware she is waiting to see if they will recall it or the warr. will cover it but it isnt cheap!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Got any more specs on this KJ? Like year and all? Trying to get an idea of how long it's been exposed to salt.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Yea, thats kinda interesting of what happened and strange. Where exactly did it corrode? on the connector I am assuming.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wires Corroding

Oh just great, I buy a 4 wheel drive cause I live in Maine and have to drive in the snow and ice, and I have to worry about a manufacturer of a 4 wheel drive vehicle that did not think about wiring that may be exposed to road salt? Jeez, what next? bs1.gif

jpjeeper2000

Reaction score
Its a 2005 she just got it july of last year I could hardly belive it myself sorry to be the bearer of bad news

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jpjeeper2000 said:
Its a 2005 she just got it july of last year I could hardly belive it myself sorry to be the bearer of bad news

With "last year" referring to 2004, all's I wanna know is HOW?? (in particular the date of purchase... july??)
I understood that people were having difficulty getting ANY 2005 Liberty's even in September?!!? Maybe someone can correct me on this one?

jpjeeper2000

Reaction score
4Factor said:
jpjeeper2000 said:

With "last year" referring to 2004, all's I wanna know is HOW?? (in particular the date of purchase... july??)
I understood that people were having difficulty getting ANY 2005 Liberty's even in September?!!? Maybe someone can correct me on this one?
I could have made a mistake on the year sorry if I did but she did have to order it I know and its a limited too by the way I will ask her the year when I get a chance sorry for the mistake #-o

tree_stump

Reaction score
jpjeeper2000 said:
she had those aftermarket clear tail lights put in and one of them went out so she took it to the dealer and they looked at it and said the guy that installed them didnt seal around them good

So you're saying that it's because the guy who swapped out the tail lights didn't install them well...

or are you saying the design was bad? Sounds to me from your opener that it's not a DCX/factory issue at all.

jpjeeper2000

Reaction score
tree_stump said:
jpjeeper2000 said:
she had those aftermarket clear tail lights put in and one of them went out so she took it to the dealer and they looked at it and said the guy that installed them didnt seal around them good

So you're saying that it's because the guy who swapped out the tail lights didn't install them well...

or are you saying the design was bad? Sounds to me from your opener that it's not a DCX/factory issue at all.
at first I thought that the guy didnt install them well but when another guy was goin to install another wiring harness he discoverd that the whole harness was getting croaded even under the seats in the jeep from the way it was explaned to me thats why she took it back to the dealer and than they told her that this was a problem that has been popping up across the board thats what was told to me I am just letting you guys know that if something like this happens to you dont let them tell you that it is someone elses fault like they tried to tell her at first