Some things the mechanic found, what needs to be fixed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a full inspection done on my 06 KJ... just cranked over 29k miles, im the 2nd owner, I got it last June with 24k miles.

- Air box is broken on the right rear
- Leaks from the trans,ission oil, cooler lines, the front axle seals, the rear pinion seal, and the oil pressure sending unit
-Serpentine belt is cracked

Now first.. I showed my mom (Im 19, and my parents are far more car savvy than their daughter is, haha) and she said "This is Alaska, all Serpentine belts are cracked." However Im not convinced. I saw some belts at the store for like $20 and I saw the how-to in this forum for replacing it, i will probably do it myself. They told me I could "probably go without replacing it until next winter"

The leaks.. They didnt seem to think those were a really big deal either, they said to just make sure my fluids are topped off (I dont know how to change any fluids except my engine oil and windshield fluid at this point) then I would be fine.. When my Jeep sits all day or overnight, I dont see anything on the ground under it to indicate a leak that drips, so it must be a very minor leak?

Im thinking they are nit-picking to make me feel like I got my money's worth.. They noted that my "font bumper is cut and will need to be replaced", haahahah.

Also said brake pads are "50% in the rear and 80% in the front, so those look good". When will they need to be replaced?

THANK YOU in advance!

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like they were feeding a little bit of fluff to make it worth your pennies. If you're not seeing any indications of drip and your fluid levels appear OK, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's bothering you, ask them where exactly these leaks are and have them show you so you have a better understanding in case it leaks in the future. I always like to do that so I know what to look for when I'm poking my head around the under belly. Plus, it can help you estimate repair costs better if you understand where it is leaking from and what kind of parts/labor it will require to fix. Definitely replace the belt if it's cracked. Real easy to DIY and very cheap.

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for your answers!

Does anyone know about the airbox and how important/quickly that needs to be replaced?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes change the airbox ASAP as you don't want to suck in dirty air.

As for the belt I find it extremly hard to believe that it's crack with only 29,000 miles.If it still has the OEM belt it can not crack as it's a EPDM belt and they don't crack.Skip the $20 belts,those are the ones that crack,get only Gates or OEM EPDM belts.

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap get the gator belt. Hate to have it break and you are stuck somewhere plus when they go it is never pretty. The air box I agree too depending on where it is broken. If before or after filter. If before it doesn't matter if after change. Leaks I have a few...that do not drip so I am not worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and yes changing the belt isn't too bad. Just need a socket wrench and the belt. Can't remember the size of socket though off top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

birdtail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to have it break and you are stuck somewhere plus when they go it is never pretty.

Ahh yes, I have experienced this once before with a family's car.. Plodding along in our 99 caravan and suddenly the car stops accelerating. My mom of course was freaking out and dad wisely streered it off the road as far as he could and us panicked in the back seat ;)

I also remember there's was close to $500 to get it replaced, so noooo thank you!

I had the shop order the airbox, i'll be sure to have that one fixed asap