Some input on front end noises?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Avg Joe

Reaction score
Howdy. I have been coming here fo years but have never registered or posted. The forum here is awesome for finding help on my KJ

Ok. So first off, I own a 2003 Liberty Sport (Freedom pkg. but that is most likely irrelevant). 180K on the ticker and still running good.

just recently replaced the upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links. Also did the rear upper and outer bushings and bj.
Everything seems ok driving wise, but every now and then when I am turning towards the left and I hit a bump, it sounds like the right front passenger side had a slug put thru it. A hard metalic, sounds like the floorboard got hit sound. The mechanic today said it was the upper ca again, which may be possible. I bought a set from a1auto for cheap. I am thinking it is possible that they could be crap. But I havent replaced the lower ca bushings yet either.
I bounced it and cant hear anything. I shake it I see nothing. I will try getting it up on stands in the next two days for a better check.

He also said my rack mount bushings are bad,which I already knew. I can also feel my brakes bumping even though I have checked and rebuilt everything as needed.

So...are the aftermarket upper ca replacements that bad? Is a set from Jeepinbyal worth it for a daily driver? Can the other things be causing that sound? The bumping brakes caused by sloppy rack? can bad lower ca bushings make that kind of a sound?
my wife drives it on curvy country roads, so....And we love it, so we ain't gettin rid of it.

Anyways, any other ideas helpfull.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Joe!:party52:

I think I would start with the LCA bushings.

And yes, the JBA UCAs are definitely worth it. They are about the same or cheaper than OEM and have greaseable and replaceable ball joints

Last edited:

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you lifted at all? Could be contact with the UCA and spring when it gets flexed from the bump.

Yes, the JBA UCA's are 100% worth every single dime. Even if you are not lifted, it's 100% worth the purchase. Doesn't matter if it's for off-road or if you never see anything off-road at all.

I promise, I'm not an employee for JBA or anything like that. I don't even know any of the people that work there so I'm not just trying to push their products. They are genuinely worth the purchase. Probably the best upgrade on my entire Jeep and a lifetime warranty on them as well.

Last edited:

Avg Joe

Reaction score
wow, ok. well then if it turns out I need new UCAs Ill grab the JBAs.
Nope. Not lifted at all. Pretty much stock all around. I usually replace with oem out of habit. 180K and just now replacing stuff usually gives me the confidence to use oem. But that UCA design is just plain worthless....
I was actually leaning towards motor mounts, but I'll deal with that if I cant find anything else.
I'll be doing the LCA bushings in a week or two, Ill replace the pivot bushing and sway bushings as well, just for the fun of it. Im working to get it back in top shape. Its a great Jeep, and the Freedom pkg makes it different from the rest I see.
I was a machine builder in detroit a few years back. My company made most of the machines that were used to build the Liberties from 02-08. Last job I did before coming back down to Texas was to reconfigure the dashboard tool for an airbag design change in '07. So...I kind of feel a connection to my '03.
thanks for the input!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also take a look at your passenger side cv axle where it's connected to the differential assembly. At 124k miles, the end of my intermediate shaft that the cv hub slips onto was rounded out, which allowed the hub to flop around. Picture shows new one on top, old on bottom. That made for a nasty clunking/thumping noise.

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus with that many miles on the stock springs and shocks they are toast.
Bet the springs are stacked so there is also an issue
Measure middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare and see where you are at.

Latest posts

Members online