some EVIC questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I was at my local pick-n-pull looking for a headlight switch for my 98 ZJ and I happened upon a 1999 WJ with an EVIC (no Homelink) in it. I picked up the EVIC and the connector for around ten dollars. For that price I would have been insane not to get it. Thanks to the instructions in the how-to section I had it installed in my 2004 KJ Sport in under an hour. Everything went smoothly and so far most of the options have worked using the EVIC. The Compass and Temperature both work perfectly. All of the other menu options (auto lock, parking light flash, service intervals etc.) also all work flawlessly If I leave my turn signal on for 2 miles the EVIC tells me as well as if the washer fluid is low, all of these work flawlessly. The only issues that I am having are the open door messages. The EVIC does not register when my front doors or flipper glass are open (all though the instrument cluster still does) When the rear doors are opened the proper message is displayed (Rear Passenger or Rear Driver Door Open) and when both rear doors are open ' 2 doors open' is displayed on the EVIC but when all four doors are open in still says '2 doors open' the other issue is the flipper glass, the EVIC does not recognize if the glass is open or closed, only the swing gate. When the swing gate is open the EVIC says 'liftgate open'. Is there anyway to fix this so that the EVIC displays the correct message when the doors are opened?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need one from an 04 liberty or newer for it to work correctly. I'm surprised everything works actually, I thought most of it wouldn't. They changed things in '04 in the bus type the computer uses. Maybe someone can explain why this EVIC from the '99 WJ worked in your '04 KJ.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
No there is no way to fix that, I had the same issue with my '04 EVIC install.

I just want to know why the temperature works. It never works with anyone else's '04 KJ using a Grand Cherokee EVIC, as I did?!?! The only way to fix it is to use a '04 and higher Liberty EVIC.

Odd!

BTW: There is no bus difference. The problem is in the '04 and higher, the temperature is reported to a different module, (the BCM) instead of straight to the EVIC as before. (I think... memory escapes me at the moment....)

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only thing that i can think or is that your 04 is a very early build. what is your build date it can be found on your drivers side door.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW: There is no bus difference. The problem is in the '04 and higher, the temperature is reported to a different module, (the BCM) instead of straight to the EVIC as before. (I think... memory escapes me at the moment....)

Right - IIRC, the older EVIC's obtained data from the temp sensor directly - the BCM managed the temp sensor. In the newer systems, the temp sensor is actually used by the PCM, so the source of data is different.

tphitterlude92

Reaction score
i know this is off topic a bit but i cant seem to find anything as close to my problem.. i have an 02 liberty with an 04 EVIC, the temp sensor is not working. is there anyway to get it to work? i also wish i didnt have the TPMS but hey maybe i can find someone who wants to swap..

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know this is off topic a bit but i cant seem to find anything as close to my problem.. i have an 02 liberty with an 04 EVIC, the temp sensor is not working. is there anyway to get it to work? i also wish i didnt have the TPMS but hey maybe i can find someone who wants to swap..
not compatible. I wonder if my evic would work with your and yours with mine... What's the part number on yours?

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very surprised you got a temperature readout. I tried all kinds of years in the 04 until i finally got an 04 KJ EVIC. Then EVERYTHING worked right (go figure).