Soft luggage carriers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

miller2

Reaction score
Anyone use the soft roof mount luggage carriers? I may be needing one in the next month or so, and I was wondering if they adversely affect gas mileage to any degree.

Also, can anyone recommend a particular brand/model? It will get sporadic use so I do not need top of the line.

JDa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one that I bought from Walmart ($25-30) that works fine. I can't really say about the gas mileage since the vehicle as a whole was loaded down each time I used it, but I would say it probably affects the gas alittle bit but not dramatically.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime you stick anything on the roof that interrupts the natural airflow over a vehicle, it knocks down your mileage. That's a no brainer.

miller2

Reaction score
Anytime you stick anything on the roof that interrupts the natural airflow over a vehicle, it knocks down your mileage. That's a no brainer.

Uh yea....I realize that. I was asking to what degree, in other words is it significant or hardly noticeable?

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Rubbermaid (18 cubic ft) I bought at Target, & the mopar cross bars for the roof rails. The Rubbermaid works fine, but with the OEM rails & crossbars, you have to use it sideways. This puts a zipper on the front leading edge, not a big deal... until you drive into a down-pour at 70 MPH. I didn't see much change in MPG, maybe 1-2 MPG at the most, It's worth it for the comfort on a long trip!

OH, & there isn't much difference between the $100 Thule & the $30 Rubbermaid... well, the Rubbermaid is 3 cubic feet larger:)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not get a carrier and out it in the hitch? If its raining then you can wrap it in a tarp.. Its what I do and it works out great. If you ever go camping you can fill it with fire wood and if you go fishing you can keep the cooler on it to put the fish in..

miller2

Reaction score
Why not get a carrier and out it in the hitch? If its raining then you can wrap it in a tarp.. Its what I do and it works out great. If you ever go camping you can fill it with fire wood and if you go fishing you can keep the cooler on it to put the fish in..

Her Liberty doesnt have a hitch. My F150 handles any and all towing duties.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.