So, what do you do when your travel vehicle dies?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
Waiting on the weather to break. Got several larger mods to be installed, but need to feel my fingers while doing them in dry conditions. Rain, cold and high winds ain’t playing nice.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Woo! Got warm, so out came the box of flat fenders. Start in the left rear my head says. Pulled the pushpins for the liner, grabbed the flare and it came right off with a quick snatch. Didn’t even break a mount pin on it!

Lined up the new one after installing the LED lights. Hells yeah! Looks fantastic. Full stop after getting the first two mount bolts in. All the rest were blind holes.

Well, I know right away what needed to be done. Order more tools! Got a rivnut gun and rivnuts on the way for tomorrow. lol

Put the old flare back on and washed my hands.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Home sweet home with all my tools available. Wrong rivnut tool ordered the first time. Returned and got the right one with the correct rivnuts.

Flat flares installed, figured out the roof rail tracking brand (Yakima) and got some cross bars, then cleaned up the cargo basket and put it on.

Ordered the graphics name “Nightcrawler” for the hood. Got some artwork headed in too.

Got with a local club that does monthly trail rides. I’ll be joining them in May for a weekend ride and campout up near Traverse City, MI.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Several orders incoming today. GMRS handheld radio, wiring connectors for the LED fender marker lights and F/R fender liners. I may work up the enthusiasm to get out and work today, but a high of 40* and snow in the forecast is quashing that desire. :D

Gonna swap the Cobra CB radio over eventually too. An 8 piece rock light kit is sitting on the kitchen table.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Since it’s snowing outside, it seemed like a good time to locate and inspect my camping gear for this summer’s Jeep adventures. It hasn’t been used for a few years because van life was cozy!

Forgot I had a couple really nice small tents. I knew about the USMC Eureka two man, a super duty bomb shelter of a tent. Great for early and late season outings.

What I forgot about was the Eureka 3 man ultralight! Cool tent for summer heat. Lots of airflow and roomy for man and dog. Linda thinks camping is a four letter word, so we’ll wander while she’s off doing her favorite job.
Still gotta locate the Big Agnes sleeping pad. My back wouldn’t forgive me if I lost it.

Plenty of various weight sleeping bags to wash for freshening too. MilSpec modular arctic to ultralight backpacking weights. lol

And then the other stuff. Stoves, cooking gear, fridge, etc. All need testing and cleaning.

For giggles - the MilSpec USMC two man tent in the family room to air out. Rain fly is draped over the couch. :p

Did I mention I hate cold?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
My current wife ( well soon to be another EX ) said the only way to camp was in a motorhome, parked next to a mall .
One of our disagreements LOL

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Took the super stereo out of the Liberty and reinstalled the OEM radio. The Kenwood radio with GPS/SiriusXM and Car Play is going in the Wrangler to get the dang GPS off the dash and out of my line of sight. Wrangler windshields are small enough without adding additional visual blockages. I want it in the JK for the Topo map access also. Trail riding and off-roading is in my future with a local group of JK owners.

Ended up on Crutchfield's website to find the needed parts for this excursion into computer controlled radio systems. What a bodge. Stuff should be here on Wednesday, but the weather's crap all week, so no rush.

Visiblity is so bad, I'm actually considering losing the A pillar lights too.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
It quit raining!! Went out, finished up the hitch/backup light’s wiring cleanup. Still dry, i got all the flares’ marker lites wired up too.

Yes, I live off a real dirt road. Keeping anything clean’s a herculean task.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Getting the recovery and rescue equipment set up in anticipation of trail use next month. CB installed and added a sweet mike mount. Fire extinguisher with roll bar mount too. Basket on the roof has recovery boards, shovel and a real axe in a Smittybilt mount.

Waiting on payday tomorrow for the winch accessories - recovery strap, tree saver and a snatch block. Tools are being judiciously selected to go in a small carry box to effect roadside repairs.

I’m going to lop a chunk of plywood and carpet it to work as a base similar to what the van had. Footman loops for the 12v fridge, battery box and some angle iron to keep the tool box in place.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
All bottom side fluids changed today. Diffs were nasty and transfer case was cherry red perfect. Fresh synthetics everywhere.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
I hate bureaucracy. Call DMV main hq for info on transferring title to home of record. Take such and such, insurance and you should be GTG. Nope. Texas is an electronic documents state, so no title provided. Ended up calling the lien holder and going thru them. It’ll be 4-8 weeks.

sleazy rider

Reaction score
Learned something today from an old friend re: JK wrangler sway bars on lifted versions. Front sway bar ends must be 10-12* above the bar, not below. On full suspension extension, stock bar ends will snap or invert, then snap. I got it before that happened. Extended bars installed.

Latest posts

Members online