so i am a little dissapointed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hollysprings

Reaction score
Keep moving???? U mean I can't park?

No, not in soft sand you can't. But you can move across it until you find a harder patch where you can park and fish. With a little practice, you can learn how to judge the sand by how it looks and how it feels when you're driving on it. However, you can expect to get stuck a few more times while getting that practice.

Once you get that practice, though, you can go all over the sand with your heavy one-wheel-drive Liberty. Better equipment is nice, but knowhow will get you where you want to go.

Good advice above, low air pressure and slow steady progress. Watch contours very closely and stay on the higher parts, even if its only a few inches higher. Soft sand tends to blow off and collect in hollows, so if one part of the beach is 2 inches higher than a part next to it, the higher part is probably more firm. Watch colors too - there's usually a subtle difference in color of firm sand from soft sand.

Until you get more experience it's best to stay in areas where other traffic can get you out. Still, you can make yourself more prepared to help yourself for very few dollars. First, always carry a shovel. Just as soon as you get stuck, stop and get out - no wheel spinning, that only digs you deeper. Clear away the ridge of sand in front of all 4 tires, and make sure there's a gentle slope back to the surface. Then get back in the jeep and gently try to ease into motion.

Second, traction aides can help. Boards work, but best is some heavy duty carpet - two pieces about 3x6 will do. After doing your shovel prep work, put these in front of the drive wheels and use them to help you get moving. Drive to safer ground, then walk back to get your carpet pieces.

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get fairly heavy-duty carpet pieces - the sort of stuff used in shops or buildings that's designed for a lot of wear. A lot of industrial carpet fitters will have offcuts left over after contracts. Then put a hole in one end of each piece, and fit a fairly long length of cord. When you get stuck and you've done your digging and positioning of the carpet pieces, lay the cord out so it won't get tangled in your tyres, and tie the end to the end of your jeep (or close the tailgate on it to secure it). Then when you drive off, after you've cleared the carpet ( or boards if you use them) they get towed along behind you so you don't have to walk back!
You can also use the cord to wrap the carpet pieces and secure them - stop them unrolling inside the car:)

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
:) right...we fish a lot here in texas and she loves it, we are thinking about getting a boat but then again idk if the libby can pull it

I'm assuming it's an auto, so no prob with the weight. But if the ramps are slimy, algee covered (near me they are), you may have traction issues.

But you knew that, right???:)

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming it's an auto, so no prob with the weight. But if the ramps are slimy, algee covered (near me they are), you may have traction issues.

But you knew that, right???:)

Yea that's what I'm scared off but most ramps they keep'em clean with a good grip to it

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not in soft sand you can't. But you can move across it until you find a harder patch where you can park and fish. With a little practice, you can learn how to judge the sand by how it looks and how it feels when you're driving on it. However, you can expect to get stuck a few more times while getting that practice.

Once you get that practice, though, you can go all over the sand with your heavy one-wheel-drive Liberty. Better equipment is nice, but knowhow will get you where you want to go.

Good advice above, low air pressure and slow steady progress. Watch contours very closely and stay on the higher parts, even if its only a few inches higher. Soft sand tends to blow off and collect in hollows, so if one part of the beach is 2 inches higher than a part next to it, the higher part is probably more firm. Watch colors too - there's usually a subtle difference in color of firm sand from soft sand.

Until you get more experience it's best to stay in areas where other traffic can get you out. Still, you can make yourself more prepared to help yourself for very few dollars. First, always carry a shovel. Just as soon as you get stuck, stop and get out - no wheel spinning, that only digs you deeper. Clear away the ridge of sand in front of all 4 tires, and make sure there's a gentle slope back to the surface. Then get back in the jeep and gently try to ease into motion.

Second, traction aides can help. Boards work, but best is some heavy duty carpet - two pieces about 3x6 will do. After doing your shovel prep work, put these in front of the drive wheels and use them to help you get moving. Drive to safer ground, then walk back to get your carpet pieces.

Great info , thankx man
Hopefully next friday ill be ordering the aussie locker so I can be called the 2 wheel wonder

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I once read somewhere that a 4x2 with a locker can do 95% of what a 4x4 can do. I forgot where, but I'd now if I saw it......but I have trouble believing it...

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I once read somewhere that a 4x2 with a locker can do 95% of what a 4x4 can do. I forgot where, but I'd now if I saw it......but I have trouble believing it...

Do not believe it
the front tires need to pull as well as the rear push

put it like this
with my rear locked I can push the front along on dry streets with the brakes on
do the same in dirt and I dig a hole
not having 4wd in mud and sand is like putting the brakes on
not having low gears on hills will destroy a trans ,4wd low

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-Thompson Quote:
Originally Posted by wjkj

Do not believe it
the front tires need to pull as well as the rear push

put it like this
with my rear locked I can push the front along on dry streets
do the same in dirt and I dig a hole
So true.............

When I grenaded my L/F outer CV joint on the trail and I lost 4wd my KJ was utterly useless to make the final 1/4 mile to the end of the trail without major aid,took a strap to get over basketball size rocks about 20 times.Oh and yes my rear ARB was locked but was still useless without those 2 front wheel pulling.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So true.............

When I grenaded my L/F outer CV joint on the trail and I lost 4wd my KJ was utterly useless to make the final 1/4 mile to the end of the trail without major aid,took a strap to get over basketball size rocks about 20 times.Oh and yes my rear ARB was locked but was still useless without those 2 front wheel pulling.

That's what I was thinking, but thought I'd get other opinions.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what's the benefit of having the rear locked? I shouldn't get the locker or what?

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does a 4wd conversion cost? Cause I get mine stuck whenever the grass isjust a little wet. It does fine with anything dry off road, but if there is a slight amount of water then I get screwed and it is embarrassing as hell.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much does a 4wd conversion cost? Cause I get mine stuck whenever the grass isjust a little wet. It does fine with anything dry off road, but if there is a slight amount of water then I get screwed and it is embarrassing as hell.
depends on part prices and if you are doing the majority of the work yourself or not.Some things will need to be done at the dealership like programming so the airbags are turned off when in 4low and such.

Your looking at least $3000 and may go beyond $8000 depending on parts used(new or used) and how much you do yourself.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I always tell people that converting a 2wd to 4wd will cost more than if you sold the 2wd and buy a factory made 4wd

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where I am from (MD) we have Assateague Island where we are ALLOWED to drive on the sand. You have to have a 1'X1'x1" plank and other sand rescue gear. I had a Toyota 4X4 at the time and never got stuck. We did have to pull others out. The biggest trick is to air DOWN your tires to about 15psi.
AND NEVER< NEVER park at the waters edge...they have tides there you know! we watched a wrangler get washed out with the tide. The guy was with the jeep for most of the day, but he drove off to get more beer with someone else..He said he was only gone 2 hours. He had to be gone longer than that, we think he hooked up with the chicks in the chevy that was parked farther down the beach! Cause thats the direction he came from after beach resuce was hookin up the DEEP JEEP! That was kinda fun to watch, they HAD to act as if someone WAS in the Jeep...I always wondered if that guy had to pay for all that rescue effort.. They had two boats and several patrol jeeps and alot of people. We know he had to pay for the tow.

Great advice!!! I wish I had known this 2 years ago. Unfortunately I learned all of what you said the hard way.

I'm from Michigan and had never driven in the sand before. I was on a vacation in Hawaii/Kawai. I had a rental Chevy Blazer with 4x4. The last day I was there we went exploring and found a really nice beach off the beatin path. There where other surfers and Hawiian natives who where driving on the beach with 4x4's and I said to myself......well, I know how to drive in the snow, so if I put the Blazer in 4 wheel drive low and stay on the beatin path where others have already traveled, then I should be alright driving in the sand......right??? WRONG!!!!

So anyways, it was a nice long beach and we wanted to go explore it.....then as I'm going to leave and still staying on the path as others have been, there are a couple Hawaiian implants sitting in the middle of the path way, watching the sun set and they're going to be azzholes and not budge. Thus, forcing me to go around them and off the forged path. To get around them I had to go up a 6 ft. high embankment with a gradual incline. So......I say to myself.....well if I get a good running start I should be able to get over this embankment with the 4WD and then make my way to the path that is on top of the embankment. Voom....Voom....Here I go!!!! I hit that loose sand on the embankment and the truck just slid down side ways to the bottom on the incline where I was immediately stuck. After just a couple attempts of trying to rock it back and forth to free myself up, I was buried down to the axels.

Oh yeah......the people sitting in my path.....just looked over at me, folded up their chairs and walked away.....not offering any help. I'm sure they had a good laugh......f'n pricks.:mad:

So I ended up walking further down the beach where some Hawaiian natives had a Jeep Wrangler, Toyota Tundra and a Older Dodge Ram. They all had the air let out of their tires with the wood planks in the back. As they're helping me.....the high tied starts to come in....The waters edge was originally a good 20 ft+ away.....within 15 minutes it's up to my tires and I'm panicking!!! The water is going to wash this rental out to sea!!!! and the worst part was that it was under my friends name who went home a day before me and the rental insurance doesn't cover anything if you go off the road!!! Then as they're all frantically helping to dig me out and get the wood planks under the tires......some other big muscle Hawaiian guy comes up and a fight breaks out. I guess, the guy in the Jeep Wrangler when he was driving to come help me was driving a little crazy and he had come pretty close to this other guys girlfriend and this guy was pizzed and was now there with 4 of his friends. So now there's this huge fist fight that breaks out between all these Hawaiian guys....mind you my truck is still stuck there and the tied is still coming in and I'm thinking......Does this tied come all the way up to the top of that 6ft. embankment!!!???? Holy sh*T!!! Ahhhhh....Guys.....can we break this fight up???? I kind of have a situation here.:eek: The water is now up to the bottom of the doors and half way over the tires.

The fight finally breaks up, and the guy with the Dodge RAM who had some big wide tires on, was able to pull me out. $175 later.....and I'm on my way out.;) Then as we're all leaving, the guy in the Toyota Tundra gets stuck....and we're all back out there with the wood planks, digging in the sand and getting him unstuck.

What a night!!!! If I had only known about letting the air down on my tires.....I probably could have avoided all of this......but it was one hell of an exciting story. But that's how I learned about letting the air down in the tires to 15 PSI and carrying some wood planks when driving in the sand. :)

Last edited:

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should also mention to the OP.

It sounds like you're wanting to convert your Libby to 4x4 for being able to not get stuck in the sand. While 4x4 will help, that's only part of the solution. You'll also want to get wider tires, and then let most of the air out of them when you go into the sand box. The key to going through the sand is putting as much flat tire surface tread on the sand as possible. Otherwise 4WD or not, you're just going to dig yourself down into the sand. The only difference is that you will have 4 wheels dug down in the sand with 4WD compared to only 2 with 2WD.

It sounds like a lot of money, time and effort you'll be spending on converting it to 4WD and you won't get a whole lot of benefit in my opinion. If you read my story above, you'll see I had a 4WD along with the guys who helped me. 2 of us got stuck, and the 2 other vehicles that didn't get stuck, where the ones with wider tires. So if you plan on moving forward with converting it to 4WD, you might want to also consider budgeting in what it will cost you to fit some wider tires on your Libby as well.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I should also mention to the OP.

It sounds like you're wanting to convert your Libby to 4x4 for being able to not get stuck in the sand. While 4x4 will help, that's only part of the solution. You'll also want to get wider tires, and then let most of the air out of them when you go into the sand box. The key to going through the sand is putting as much flat tire surface tread on the sand as possible. Otherwise 4WD or not, you're just going to dig yourself down into the sand. The only difference is that you will have 4 wheels dug down in the sand with 4WD compared to only 2 with 2WD.

It sounds like a lot of money, time and effort you'll be spending on converting it to 4WD and you won't get a whole lot of benefit in my opinion. If you read my story above, you'll see I had a 4WD along with the guys who helped me. 2 of us got stuck, and the 2 other vehicles that didn't get stuck, where the ones with wider tires. So if you plan on moving forward with converting it to 4WD, you might want to also consider budgeting in what it will cost you to fit some wider tires on your Libby as well.

Great post. :)

Latest posts

Members online