so here's what I managed to get done today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got everything all disassembled and the old CV shaft and intermediate axle. Now me in my infinite wisdom, figured that I would be set with just replacing the intermediate shaft and that the CV would just pop right off the old shaft... WELL... that doesn't look too promising now does it? Called Uh-oh-zone and the earliest they can get a CV in is by tuesday at the earliest. Anybody have any pro tips on getting the intermediate out of the CV peacefully without screwing anything up on the CV side of things?

PS: For the visual learners in here, my camera is charging and I will make sure to post some pics of my driveway adventure!

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brainstormed and you hit the nail right on the head bigBlue! One of the few times I think i will ever say this, but I was glad my dad is overseas today. Drove his car over to my Grandfather's awesome woodshop/carshack to use his BIG vise and got the CV to *pop* right off! Charging the camera a little more and will get everything put back together by tonight!

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Just hope that the corrosion that caused the hangup did not ruin the splines.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, just got everything all buttoned up (also did a front diff fluid D+F) and everything seems to be alright for the most part. Weirdest thing though, after getting everything put back together, there is now a brake noise and rotor vibration coming from the passenger front. I won the first battle, but it looks like i've started a war with the old girl...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure its not from the CV?
Are you getting a remanned CV ?
I would of never put them back together with the old CV, haven't seen any yet come apart that were making noise that were good enough to reuse.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to be honest with you Rev mudd, I am chasing a vibration at 45-50mph that just won't seem to go away. I did rear U-joints and rear drain and fill a couple months ago, just did the front intermediate as well as a drain and fill on the front diff today. The only thing I can think of now is that the U-joints I did have already bound themselves up somehow. I grease them every time I change my oil so every 3000 miles... Don't have any sort of clicking or groaning noise from the CV's and the vibration i DID have from a standstill accelerating through first gear is now gone with the new intermediate.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pictures:

My home office!
You must be registered for see images attach

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT! Change your Differential Fluids at regular scheduled maintenance intervals... I always preach this to family members (got this KJ from my dad) but it seems this sometimes falls on deaf ears...

and a picture found on my camera I thought came out kinda cool

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are the hub bearings?

While I had the spindle out I checked the hub for any roughness in rotation and general play and found everything to be real tight. Surprised? yes. but on the other hand I really don't wanna have to put at least $300 in wheel bearings on the front any time soon. God I hate how expensive those hub bearings are.

At first, ThunderbirdJunkie was all like "Where did that shock come from?"

Then he realized it was a grease gun.

:D
Used it to lube the splines of the shaft on the CV side of the intermediate shaft. Also, I made Never-seize my best friend this afternoon. At least down the road the passenger side IFS will be nice and easy to work on.

Latest posts

Members online