Smokin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not remember asking if they used the Chrysler coolant. Would that have any thing to do with the code?

nothing, but long term the wrong coolant will cause corrosion & possibly damaged the rubber parts & gaskets too.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly after you get t fixed I doubt you would want to sell it. Went through the same exact thing as you and I about had it. But after I finished replacing the gasket, the jeep had a brand new pep in its step and I decided to keep it.

Sh** happens with any brand, replaced 2 head gaskets on my 2004 ford ranger due to a known design flaw in the 3.0s.

What you're doing is the best option. Call around and see who will give you the best deal. Just make sure it is a reputable shop. It's a big job so it's not going to be cheap unfortunately.

Keep us posted [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The engine was blown, replaced with a new engine. I'll let you know if it's a keeper.

stn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a keeper. The rebuilt engine isn't a bad thing. Just keep up on the basic maintenance and it will seemingly run forever.

Just ask the forum how many are members of the 200K club.

The thing was in production for over a decade with well over a million units. The design is/was good. The engine is solid, you just had a mishap with the overheating.

Years ago I had the same thing happen to my Toyota 4x4 pickup. I replaced the engine and drove it another 200K

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good, today I took the Jeep to work. It runs better now than when I bought it. It really felt like a brand new vehicle. My next hurdle will be the trip to the emissions station for the annual check. I hope it passes :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you will be good for 200k-+ miles now. These KJ's are really good Jeeps and this forum has a lot of valuable info and good people to help.

Dave

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the emissions too early. They said that there wasn't enough info to read. I'll try again this Saturday.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a keeper. The rebuilt engine isn't a bad thing. Just keep up on the basic maintenance and it will seemingly run forever.

Just ask the forum how many are members of the 200K club.

The thing was in production for over a decade with well over a million units. The design is/was good. The engine is solid, you just had a mishap with the overheating.

Years ago I had the same thing happen to my Toyota 4x4 pickup. I replaced the engine and drove it another 200K

I used to have a Toyota an 84. Brother rolled it. It went to the junk yard. Glad no one was hurt.

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh by the way,, This what came out of my manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all good now. The new engine is working great. I did notice that the gas mileage has dropped. Any ideas on what is normal?

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the first oil change youll probably average 12-14, and it's mpgs all things considered will probably normalize between 15k and 20kmi. it'll take a few hot cold cycles for the o2's to get back with the program and 300-500 for the overall learning cycle to complete for engine management - should be able to get it inspected after 3 or 4 hot cold cycles and 50 miles though

Aztimer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the first oil change youll probably average 12-14, and it's mpgs all things considered will probably normalize between 15k and 20kmi. it'll take a few hot cold cycles for the o2's to get back with the program and 300-500 for the overall learning cycle to complete for engine management - should be able to get it inspected after 3 or 4 hot cold cycles and 50 miles though

Hopefully it will get over 15 mpg. It's about 13.9, according to the overhead cluster.
You must be registered for see images