Small Evap Leak Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tallmountainbiker

Reaction score
Hi, all. I keep getting a Check Engine light warning on my '03 Liberty, 3.7L V6. When I check the code I am getting this: "P0456 Evap Leak Monitor Small (.020) Leak Detected". I have replaced the gas cap twice, clearing the codes after each time. Any ideas where to start finding the problem from here? Thanks in advance

widwesternjeepz

Reaction score
There is three places that i usually find that fix this...

The two lines by the EVAP canister in the back, drivers side up in front of the gas tank, follow the lines and you will see a couple small sections of rubber hose that joins the lines, they usually crack and start to leak.

The two lines behind the drivers side head of the engine against the firewall, there is two steel lines that come across the bottom of the body to the engine compartment, then there is two short pieces of rubber hose that provides a flex joint to the lines that go to the EVAP purge solenoid.

The EVAP purge solenoid is the roundish thing next to the battery with two rubber hoses and a electrical connector on it, follow those lines from it, one goes up to the throttle body area and there is a T in the one line, check the ends of all these hoses for weather cracking and replace if suspect. Also check the crankcase breather hoses on both sides of the airbox mounted on the throttle body, they crack and leak to and cause weird leaks as well.

My first leak was the lines back by the tank, then the second leak was the two on the firewall, then the third time was the hose to the throttle body. Check them all!

Xodius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was next to can. Had to fabricate a new hose and ne'er went off again. Pretty easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk