Slamming/Bottoming out in the cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fango925

Reaction score
So recently, I've noticed and felt that as the temperature drops (usually under freezing) my KJ will start to "slam" over bumps. That is to say that the suspension works fine up until a point, and then it hits a point where it'll "slam". It's almost as though I'm bottoming out over bumps. It's only the driver side. My rear driver side shock is blown, but I've never heard of a blown shock stopping the suspension from moving as it seems like it is. It's probably the blown shock, yeah? Or could it be bad springs or a bad bushing in my tri-link? Any advice would be useful. If it is the blown shock, what would you guys recommend for a replacement shock for a 2.5" lift?

Thanks guys!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that's a blown shock. If springs and shocks are old then a full replacement is needed. Which lift do you have and what year KJ. How many miles on the springs and shocks? Do you have proper bump stops for a lift?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Are slams from front?
You are possibly bottoming out all right even hitting pockets on a-arm as the wheel drops into a pothole?
Look for coil bind where two rings of the spring is tight together.
Measure & post back a measurement form center of wheel hub to bottom of fender flare front & rear.
Most of the time the OEM suspension is sagging /weak, and springs and shocks are desperately needed. (known as Toast around here)
Since you will be spending money for new springs & shocks why not get it lifted?
My Jeep was sagging by 38k miles...eek!
54601[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Now it rides & handles ..AWESOME!!
As far as the tri-link , generally it will bang, and inspect with a prybar, the upper balljoint.
Look at bushing for cracks & tears, check rear driveline / U-joints for play as well and see how hot they get after driving it.

Attachments

• Sag%20Much.jpg
    Sag%20Much.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So recently, I've noticed and felt that as the temperature drops (usually under freezing) my KJ will start to "slam" over bumps. That is to say that the suspension works fine up until a point, and then it hits a point where it'll "slam". It's almost as though I'm bottoming out over bumps. It's only the driver side. My rear driver side shock is blown, but I've never heard of a blown shock stopping the suspension from moving as it seems like it is. It's probably the blown shock, yeah? Or could it be bad springs or a bad bushing in my tri-link? Any advice would be useful. If it is the blown shock, what would you guys recommend for a replacement shock for a 2.5" lift?

Thanks guys!

FIRST QUESTION
what kind of 2.5 inch lift do you have and how long has it been on your KJ
Will answer after finding that out

Fango925

Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry, I've been busy this weekend. So it's a Rocky-Road 2.5" lift. It's been on there for 5 or 6 years, it was put on by my uncle (the only reason I bought a jeep prelifted was because it was in the family).

I believe I've found out the issue. Because this is only happening in the cold, I was confused. As far as I can tell, I actually got water inside my shock that's blown, and now it freezes. I can tell it's the shock because I had someone jump up and down on the back, as I held the shaft for the shock and I could feel where the piston for the shock would stop moving. Along with that, the oil in the shock is leaking and is really thin, like you'd expect a mix of water and oil to be. Plus, we had 100 pounds in the back of the Jeep, and two guys jumping on the back to see if it was the springs, and it's pretty evident that it's not.

That being said, I'm a college student so I'd love to just put a new lift on it and replace everything but that's not going to happen. So for now, I need to order shocks. JBA has a "half-off" sale on Bilstein shocks here BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty 2.5" Lift Rear Shock

Anyone have any experience with these? Or any other recommendations for a 2.5" lift shock? It's not like I can buy standard shocks correct?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Sorry, I've been busy this weekend. So it's a Rocky-Road 2.5" lift. It's been on there for 5 or 6 years, it was put on by my uncle (the only reason I bought a jeep prelifted was because it was in the family).

I believe I've found out the issue. Because this is only happening in the cold, I was confused. As far as I can tell, I actually got water inside my shock that's blown, and now it freezes. I can tell it's the shock because I had someone jump up and down on the back, as I held the shaft for the shock and I could feel where the piston for the shock would stop moving. Along with that, the oil in the shock is leaking and is really thin, like you'd expect a mix of water and oil to be. Plus, we had 100 pounds in the back of the Jeep, and two guys jumping on the back to see if it was the springs, and it's pretty evident that it's not.

That being said, I'm a college student so I'd love to just put a new lift on it and replace everything but that's not going to happen. So for now, I need to order shocks. JBA has a "half-off" sale on Bilstein shocks here BILSTEIN - Heavy Duty 2.5" Lift Rear Shock

Anyone have any experience with these? Or any other recommendations for a 2.5" lift shock? It's not like I can buy standard shocks correct?

Those would be way better than what RRO provided so yes go with them

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have the 4" lift version and I love em.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Those special prices JBA is offering are the same prices they've always been... Half off regular price maybe but not off half JBA prices. :icon_lol:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I actually got water inside my shock that's blown, and now it freezes. "

Reminded my of an old codger came in my shop waaay back in the 80's with his mid 60's Chev pu. He'd put the front shocks on himself, they had metal dust shields and he'd mounted one correctly, but put the other on upside down. COLD, WINTER, dust shield had caught full of water and frozen solid. SOB was like solid suspension on that corner, laughed my ass off at him as I thawed his shock and remounted it properly. Don't think he ever came back in the shop.

Bob

Fango925

Reaction score
"I actually got water inside my shock that's blown, and now it freezes. "

Reminded my of an old codger came in my shop waaay back in the 80's with his mid 60's Chev pu. He'd put the front shocks on himself, they had metal dust shields and he'd mounted one correctly, but put the other on upside down. COLD, WINTER, dust shield had caught full of water and frozen solid. SOB was like solid suspension on that corner, laughed my ass off at him as I thawed his shock and remounted it properly. Don't think he ever came back in the shop.

Bob

That's hilarious. Yeah it's like riding a small go-kart. I guess I can really "feel the road"