Skinny tyre question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
What's the received wisdom on going skinny but taller?
On a pheasant shoot at the weekend a gent turned up in a Landrover 90 shod with Hankook M&S 215/80/16's which were a bit useful. The tyre size comparator puts them at 29.5" against 29 standard.
I was wondering if these would still negatively impact MPG and if stock rims would accept the smaller width without compromising the height of the side wall. I'm running at 20" center to arch and have not done the old pinch welderoo as yet.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know what it will do for you fuel consumption but my old series III would go anywhere with its 205 M&S tyres, having said that the 235 geolandar G015 on my Jeep are brilliant, easily follow the shoot tractor & trailer.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skinny == cutting through to hard ground below
fat == floating on top

now you just need to decide which one works better for you in your specific situation(s).

Erskine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
skinny == cutting through to hard ground below
fat == floating on top

now you just need to decide which one works better for you in your specific situation(s).
Generally in the UK cutting through is the ticket, although there are exceptions of course. Might not look as cool but when it's only the crows passing judgement who actually cares!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Fats where its at over here where I live in Ohio
Even on my tractor I run a wider tread tire don't want it digging through to China

Looking cool ? LOL
well guess that is right if you are just a mall crawler

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just found this website, handy for size comparison.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Members online