Skids Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have no aftermarket skid protection, and all the clubs seem to require them and frankly I need them anyway. So which skids are the most crucial to install first? Which type of skids should work for me? I see on jparts.com theres one skid for and 02 but the rest are 05-07 etc. will these fit an 02? I dont need anything heavy duty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the skids are equally important,get all at the same time but 1st have good F/R recovery points.

Just pick your poison if you do not get all 4 skids at the same time.............

Front skid--protects front diff--cost of new D30A = about $1400

****** skid--protects engine oil pan sump and trans pan--new engine = $4500+ -- new trans = $2500+

T-case skid--protects the t-case--new t-case = $500-$1000

Gas tank skid--protects the gas tank--new gas tank = $650

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
All the skids are equally important,get all at the same time but 1st have good F/R recovery points.

Just pick your poison if you do not get all 4 skids at the same time.............

Front skid--protects front diff--cost of new D30A = about $1400

****** skid--protects engine oil pan sump and trans pan--new engine = $4500+ -- new trans = $2500+

T-case skid--protects the t-case--new t-case = $500-$1000

Gas tank skid--protects the gas tank--new gas tank = $650

Not counting the joy of fixing or towing out of some really cool spot.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd go ahead and get what you can. I think some one on LOST has a ****** skid for an 02...

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took the Liberty out to Gulches ORV Park last weekend and in my opinion, I wouldn't wheel at all without all four bolted on. At all.

Midgear

Reaction score
well I have the front skid plate.. but no hooks, hitch, or any other plates..

surely my Jeep wasn't originally sold like that.. hmmm.gif

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Only '02-'04's came with the front skid as standard equipment,all the other skids/tow hooks/hitch where options on all KJ's.

I was thinking the standard front skid was an 02 thing only. All the used 03+ 4x4's without the off road package didn't even have the front skid.:)

Midgear

Reaction score
Only '02-'04's came with the front skid as standard equipment,all the other skids/tow hooks/hitch where options on all KJ's.

that being said, where can one find tow hooks for less than 120 dollars a pair, a decent set of skids, minus the front, and a hitch that I wont have to worry about breaking off if I use it to be pulled out.. ?

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you could choose one of the three skids to buy first, which would it be? considering getting myself one for Christmas.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was kinda thinking. Do the front/engine skid first and then add on later. I really Love the look of the skidrow skids, but hate not being able to afford it. Trying to sell my sub/amp/box setup to fund skids/tires/hooks

ekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked similar questions not too long ago. Thankfully, a couple of people convinced me to save up and do it right with quality products. Right now, I only have the fuel tank skid plate and frankly, it may be another year before I have all the skid plates, but I don't think the skid plates are where you want to cut corners.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember.... Cheap is expensive. Have I have told you the story about how I ended up stranded....... oh never mind.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember.... Cheap is expensive. Have I have told you the story about how I ended up stranded....... oh never mind.

was it in moab? :D

Going over obstacles I have had a spotter (my brother) telling me how much room I had and the closest thing that I came to hitting of importance was the gas tank. I did love tap the transmission cross member on one obstacle, but it was very light since I am smart enough not to go hauling ass through stuff. I am saving up for Boilers gas tank skid (found here) along with rock rails, the rest of the skids, Boilers strut plates, and 17505/ome springs. With the wedding in 6 months it will be a long time before I get everything for the KJ, but for me the gas tank skid is first since that is what I get closest to hitting the most.

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got factory skids through out and I've never had an issue. Make sure you've got a spotter that knows what's he/she is doing. A half way crappy spotter will save you more money then the best armor. No damage if you don't touch that big a$$ rock...