skids and hooks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i have a 2006 jeep liberty sport. I would like to add mopar front tow hooks and engine skid plate.
Do i have to remove the front bumper to add these or do they bolt on (hooks)?

Does the engine skid plate bolt in or do you need the special 'zert' bolts for the front skid?

Thanks in advance, ken

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not 100% sure as mine came equipped, but:

1) No removal nevessary as far as I know. That's the purpose of the special "M" bolt assembly for the front hooks. You'll have to cut out the pieces in the bumper for them to poke through.

2) I believe these are already tapped and in the frame. I think you'd just bolt them up using standard bolts.

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will chime in.

jonb

Reaction score
re. Front tow hooks - I put them in my 2005 & no bumper removal is necessary, but you'll have to dremel around the hooks for access after they're in.

t_bois

Reaction score
For the hooks, I'd use a grade 5 bolts and a torque wrench to make sure you have them tight enough (if you don't have access to a torque wrench, any repair shop most likely will check them for free if they aren't busy).

I also have an 06 and need to do the same. I'm more worried about the gas tank getting punctured but the front is something that may get easily damage as well.

Anyone get a recommendation on a bull bar or new bumper instead of hooks?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the Mopar OEM front tow hooks. Because they have all the proper hardware. I also didn't have to remove the bumper to install them and used a dremel to cut out the factory indentations on the bumper. I went to the dealer and got them and the skids and said I needed a discount. They gave me 10% off .....I was surprised. They got shipped to the dealer the next morning and I picked them up. No shipping cost to me.

t bois......yea, get a skid on the gas tank......if for no other reason - just because it's plastic.....the factory gas tank skid is not bad for OEM or expensive and comes with graded bolts.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the hooks, I'd use a grade 5 bolts
I would some bolts that are way harder then grade 5.The tow hook kits come with metric 10.9 bolts which are the same hardness as grade 8 bolts.Grade 5 bolts(or metric 8.8) will shear off to easily if you actually use the hooks.

t_bois

Reaction score
I agree, with using the grade 8 bolts.

Last thing you want is to have someone slip on a strap to your tow hook, get into their vehicle and romp on the gas only to have your tow hook break off and come flying into their cab at 300+ MPH! I chunk of steel that big would go through the back window and take someone’s head off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.