Skid plate installation problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of installing the skidplates on a 03 Libby.
The one in back, under gas tank and that under the engine was very easy and took me only two hours to fix.

The problem is the triangular one under the gear box.

I managed somehow to use a hammer and fix the receptor bolt onto the frame, but there was only two holes that fitted on the Jeep.

And I screwed in the two bolts and when I took a last stroke on the nut under the door, the d... skid plate fell on my head -- the receptor bolt in the middle of the car suddenly popped loose!

Hmm - what to do next -- now I have nothing to fix the bolts in ??
:--((

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a write up on installing those but since the search function ***** I cannot find it. My stuff seems to never get put in the howto either? :-s

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I did a write up on installing those but since the search function ***** I cannot find it. My stuff seems to never get put in the howto either? :-s

LOL you are suppose to put it there yourself.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
jeepjeepster said:

LOL you are suppose to put it there yourself.

I didnt mean it that way. I was just saying they never make it in there.. O:)

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
jfortier777 said:
jeepjeepster said:

Hmmm,

I read these instructions some time ago, but today they were "gone" and I tried to install without instructions.
The golden inserts are gone in the drain /kaputt" "/ where do I find new ones?

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember exactly how the skid mounts but you might try drilling all the way through and then using grade 8 bolts to hold the plate in place.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
priell3 said:
I don't remember exactly how the skid mounts but you might try drilling all the way through and then using grade 8 bolts to hold the plate in place.

For start I rellay dont understand what a grade 8 bolt is,

second - if I drilled all the way trough I would end way up in my leather seaths :-((

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fjellfinn said:
priell3 said:

For start I rellay dont understand what a grade 8 bolt is,

second - if I drilled all the way trough I would end way up in my leather seaths :-((

Haha, a grade 8 bolt is just a type of bolt.. its really strong..

lol, thats true, you cannot drill all the way through with the tranfer case skid.. You may still be able to use those nut zerts(think thats what they are called...

Here is how you put them in:

You must be registered for see images attach

Hold that wrench in place and tighten the bolt on the bottom to 25-30ft lbs. Its very easy to over tighten those and then the skid will not bolt up corectly.. They will not pull back out after doing that..

Here is what they should look like:

Instructions..

One of my bolts didnt line up.. I didnt worry about it..