Should I repalce the KJ's OEM tires with BFG All-terrain?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSG

Reaction score
I have a Jeep Liberty Limited 2002 with BFG Rugged Trail tires (235/70/16) 2-ply 35PSI. These tires have nearly all their tread but are terrible in the winter conditions of Northern Ontario. Even in full-time or part-time 4WD they do not grip the road and breaking or steering maneuvers are always a frightful experience.

My dilemma is do I buy a separate set of winter tires such as the DUNLOP SJ6 and alternate tires in the Winter/Summer season, or should I buy a set of BFG All-terrain.

The BFG All-terrain have the mountain and snowflake symbol and qualify as a winter tire, but the garage told me they are 6-ply and require 55 PSI. They are Light Truck tires and not passenger tires as what I currently have. The man at the garage said the ride quality would be different, stiffer in steering and without a load in the vehicle (which I usually don't have) will be a spongy.

Pls advise.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take the BFGs down to a tire shop and get them sipped. The SJ6's do so well on wet, icy road due to their sipping. Worth a try.

dnm45227

Reaction score
we have bfg's on the crd and i am one last skidding close call away from coming off the cash to put them on the rennie too.

i find they offer a very confident ride w/a slight increase in road noise.