Should I buy a KJ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 4x2, what are your plans with it?

what is the asking on it?

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a 4x2, what are your plans with it?

what is the asking on it?

It's for my father, his job requires him to drive allot. This KJ will be used on the highway 99.999999999% of the time. Roberto (sales guy) wants 8,500 for it but he says he will drop the price if it doesn't sell (it's been on the lot for about 6-7 months). Roberto has sold us other cars in the past and has always given us great deals.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he's driving a lot, is there really a need for a SUV? I love my KJ, but they definitely aren't known for great gas mileage.

I do 50% highway/50% surface road and I average about 17-18 in the warmer months. Right now in MI with it being cold, I am more like 15-16.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
starting out with a kj that already has close to 100k knowing that its going to be driven a lot is not something I would do.

Kj's are pretty dang reliable but there are going to be things that go wrong, more so since it has 100k miles. I would look for something with less miles for the same price. I would not give 8,500 for a kj with 100k miles.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if its for driving alot i say dont get it only due to gas millage unless the gas is paid for buy the company. $3-$4 a gallons ***** and it looks like its on the rise again., . if he is tall i say dont get it.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an XJ with 120K and ended up with 300K (bell housing cracked). I had no other problems with it (it had a 4.0 tho). My father also bought many other cars that had 100K+ miles and ended up with over 250K (my father goes through cars fast). I don't consider 100K "high mileage". Are there problems with KJ's and those miles? I don't want to sound like an a** or anything.

Last edited:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have damn near 100 on mine, there are others with more, but there isn't as much history to fall back on, yet. That being said, most people aren't having issues, even at those miles.

If you're asking for honest input, 8500 for a liberty with 100k, 4x2, all highway...not a chance I would buy it.
That's my opinion.

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pretty close to 160,000 miles on my 2003, I got it with 100k and I haven't had a problem with anything except the hatch latch, and the Parking brake.

I only paid 3500 for it, though, and it's a 4x4.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's for my father, his job requires him to drive allot. This KJ will be used on the highway 99.999999999% of the time. Roberto (sales guy) wants 8,500 for it but he says he will drop the price if it doesn't sell (it's been on the lot for about 6-7 months). Roberto has sold us other cars in the past and has always given us great deals.

His job requires him to drive a lot.......needs an econobox or at least a car of some sort and not a jeep.

$8,500.........WAAAAYY too much for 2wd jeep. It's been on the lot for 6 or 7 months and has over 100,00 miles on it...........hmmmmmmm

Now as to the KJ question. They are just like any other vehicle with that many miles on them. A 2wd I am guessing was not taken off road so maybe if the maintenance was done regularly and it was not abused, it should have many more miles left in it.

But really, he needs to be looking at cars and not jeeps. Better/smoother ride/better mpg/etc.......... Just my honest opinion based on the info you provided.

Dave

PS....I never told anybody not to buy a jeep before........

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way too expensive for a 4x2 KJ.

Look at all of these 4x4 KJ's for less than 10K and most with lower mileage than the one you have been quoted... AutoTrader (sorry for the michigan zip, I didn't know a zip in florida)

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ had 87k on it for $9,000, so there's absolutely no way I would pay that for one with 100k+ miles.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Price and mileage wise this one is much better, even though it is Sport 4x4 (Part Time 4x4 Only, so no use on highway), except it looks like tires are all worn, so expect another $500-$700 in tires

You mean to say "Part time four wheel drive and not an all wheel drive vehicle" Ours is a sport with part time 4X4 and does just fine on the highway... Even in the snow! ;)

And the tires? With those stock steel wheels, didn't all base and sports with steelies come with 215's? which are passenger tires and look bald anyway!
Which ever, you'll want to upgrade those anyway.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
owning a WJ, I thought he would know the "specialty" of PT, just wanted to point that out, since for ALL-HIGHWAY driver, PT is pretty much useless.

I would still go with something lighter, with as good crash test ratings, that is more comfortable to ride on long drives.. I don't know how long he drives for but after few hours KJ feels like a wooden board.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
owning a WJ, I thought he would know the "specialty" of PT, just wanted to point that out, since for ALL-HIGHWAY driver, PT is pretty much useless.

I would still go with something lighter, with as good crash test ratings, that is more comfortable to ride on long drives.. I don't know how long he drives for but after few hours KJ feels like a wooden board.

I have the 247 (automatic 4WD hi and PT 4lo). I doubt my father will know how to use the PT setting.

The "KJ feels like a wooden board" statement is interesting. I guess I should look at other vehicles, thanks for all of your help guys!!!

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's for your father and he is interested in a SUV sized vehicle, why not look at a Honda CRV or the Ford Escape? Better MPG and a smoother ride while still maintaining the interior volume often found in the small SUV segment.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's for your father and he is interested in a SUV sized vehicle, why not look at a Honda CRV or the Ford Escape? Better MPG and a smoother ride while still maintaining the interior volume often found in the small SUV segment.

He doesn't like honda's, and the Ford Escape's have trans problems (almost bought one with bad trans).

Latest posts

Members online