Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmusso

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the Bilstein adjustable strut for an 06 Liberty. I’m not wanting to lift my Jeep anymore with it, I just personally don’t like the yellow ome/bilstein.

Attachments

• 12DDF6E3-DC64-4B3E-8986-BB3A2F5DB56C.png
    12DDF6E3-DC64-4B3E-8986-BB3A2F5DB56C.png
    533.7 KB · Views: 5

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use the Bilstein adjustable strut for an 06 Liberty. I’m not wanting to lift my Jeep anymore with it, I just personally don’t like the yellow ome/bilstein.
Shock, we do not have struts;)
But you could
BUT
shocks are not what lifts a vehicle, the springs do
Shocks control the motion from the springs so it rides good
Plus they sell paint if you do not like the color of a shock

gmusso

Reaction score
Shock, we do not have struts;)
But you could
BUT
shocks are not what lifts a vehicle, the springs do
Shocks control the motion from the springs so it rides good
Plus they sell paint if you do not like the color of a shock

Okay, thank you

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Tom, my Jeep has come along way and I'm chuffed with the results, what I'm having trouble with is finding a programmer or powerchip etc. For a 2003 3.7 with 42 rle trans. Do you know of anything or anyway to address timing advance shift points etc.

Jet makes a piggyback tuner for the 3.7, it's not terribly expensive, and comes either as a Stage 1 or 2. I have stage 1 installed for the last 2 years and not only are the shift points better but low end torque and midrange feel stronger. MPG pretty good all things considered. It's not nearly as good as a CPU tune but nor is it as expensive or invasive - even those are marginally beneficial for anything naturally aspirated. Looks like Tom thinks they're junk but I've been tweaking cars for 25 years and don't invest in junk. So YMMV.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Jet makes a piggyback tuner for the 3.7, it's not terribly expensive, and comes either as a Stage 1 or 2. I have stage 1 installed for the last 2 years and not only are the shift points better but low end torque and midrange feel stronger. MPG pretty good all things considered. It's not nearly as good as a CPU tune but nor is it as expensive or invasive - even those are marginally beneficial for anything naturally aspirated. Looks like Tom thinks they're junk but I've been tweaking cars for 25 years and don't invest in junk. So YMMV.
They can and do change shift point s BUT theyare worthless from there
Tweaking/building 4x4s/hot rods since the 70s
and do it right , no junk, only good parts

Jaybird91

Reaction score
How do i go about getting the bushings for bilsteins 24-185660 rear shocks?

Attachments

• 2EEDB2E8-3DB4-4DF7-B3E7-89368EAB3B73.jpeg
    2EEDB2E8-3DB4-4DF7-B3E7-89368EAB3B73.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 6

Jaybird91

Reaction score
The top of the new shocks doesnt have a sleeve . Only a bushing and there is to much space between the frame mounting point. I measure just under 2in from the old shock sleeve. And the bottom eye sockets i was thinking of adding a few washers to get a snugg fit between the sides as there is space also . Should i just take the old sleeves out or could i use some spacers for the top. Not sure what to do?

Fogtripper

Reaction score
I too bought the 24-185660s for the rear and the shop doing the install said they were "too skinny". I have them putting the originals back in (they tried to sell me another brand I did not remotely recognize).

I read in another thread that different sleeve/bushing was required for the 24-185660 in a Liberty

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I too bought the 24-185660s for the rear and the shop doing the install said they were "too skinny". I have them putting the originals back in (they tried to sell me another brand I did not remotely recognize).

I read in another thread that different sleeve/bushing was required for the 24-185660 in a Liberty

OEMs are way too short use the ones you bought, geeezzz

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Bilsteins shock bushing ends are a little too narrow for the mount points on the rear of my KK, so the installer used a couple of fender washers, one on each side of the bushing, to make it work. 140,000 miles later, no issues. Those Bilsteins are still going strong too.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The Bilsteins shock bushing ends are a little too narrow for the mount points on the rear of my KK, so the installer used a couple of fender washers, one on each side of the bushing, to make it work. 140,000 miles later, no issues. Those Bilsteins are still going strong too.
Seems like that would be a common sense issue to any shop that says they know how to install a lift kit
Problem is so many do not know how or have common sense

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
JBA used to include the washers with their kits, to help the installers know what to do.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ANY good shop has washers in stock and should know what to do
Heck I used washer on some shocks I installed on lifts I did back in the late 1970s
Gets to me when shops gladly take peoples hard earned money and then don't do the whole job or tell them that stock shocks will work
very poor shops and techs it seems

Fogtripper

Reaction score
OEMs are way too short use the ones you bought, geeezzz
The option was to put the OEMs back on or ride around with no rear shocks. They put them back on and it is fine for now.

When I get some time I am going to determine the size of bolt sleeve I will need, since there is no such information on this or any other website. Even reached out to JBA and all they would respond with is "we no longer sell those".

I mean all I need to know is the OD, ID and length for goodness sake. Yet nobody seems to have that info. With as many have been posted about in this forum, I am blown away with the lack of that information.

Just "going to a hardware store and get one that works" is monumentally unhelpful, even IN ALL CAPS.

Last edited:

EagleKJ

Lurking member
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The option was to put the OEMs back on or ride around with no rear shocks. They put them back on and it is fine for now.

When I get some time I am going to determine the size of bolt sleeve I will need, since there is no such information on this or any other website. Even reached out to JBA and all they would respond with is "we no longer sell those".

I mean all I need to know is the OD, ID and length for goodness sake. Yet nobody seems to have that info. With as many have been posted about in this forum, I am blown away with the lack of that information.

Just "going to a hardware store and get one that works" is monumentally unhelpful, even IN ALL CAPS.
I believe I just measured the stock ones and then went to the hardware store. Unfortunately I don't have the sizes off hand. If nobody does by the time I get back I'll check and post what you need.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

All you do is put a shock bolt in one hand, pick up a shock bolt in the other hand and walk in and tell them what ya need
how is that unhelpful
Last lift I did on a KJ , told the kid what all to buy, what was needed
That is what he did and had two of them when he showed up for me to do the install
Guess Ill have to go down to the shop and pull out some of my inventory and measure
BUT ITS ALL SO SIMPLE ,.......IN CAPS LOL

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score

13mm or 1/2" id 15.5 or 5/8" od 47mm or 1 13/16" keep in mind these measurements were taken with a craptacular plastic caliper and construction tape measure. Then I unfolded the paper in the package and realized I wasted my time.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach