Shhh...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I should be getting my '88 SWB 4.0/Auto/231 Comanche with the tow & off-road packages today or tomorrow.... Dana 44 rear, Baby! (Cheers)

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you lucky devil you... I miss my first jeep (88 MJ pioneer4.0l 5spd SWB no tow package though). Be sure to post some pictures!

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
LOL @ TBJ.

As soon as I gets me someinternets access that allows photoshop, etc... I will post it up.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
The driver's floor was worse than I thought, but not beyond an easy repair. And patch panels are cheeeep. The rocker is good on that side, but the pas. side is rough. The bed is nice. It obviously had a topper on it.

I sent to jeep for build sheet info. It definitely has a D44 rear. Although nothing said you could not get a D44 rear on a SWB, I have already had two MJ "experts" tell me that it was either swapped in or it is a D35 and I am blind. LOL. See? It doesn't just happen on Liberty forums!!!

The Trac-loc actually still holds! I am shocked. I wish it was open, though. Easier to aussie-fy. A slight plus is 3.73's instead of the 3.55's that were standard. The vacuum disconnect locks in just fine and holds. It is pretty slow to release, which is normal. I will by-pass it and/or go to a 297-jointed axles. I have read ALOT and I am not willing to by that the HPD30 with 297's = a D44. The tubes are thinner, the axles lack 3 splines and are 20% thinner, and the ring gear is still 1.2" smaller. Well trussed, though, and I believe that the D44 is not worth the cost of the swap over a HPD30.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, congrats IC.....now pics........gotta have some Comanche **** ya know...pant...pant....:D

Dave

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The driver's floor was worse than I thought, but not beyond an easy repair. And patch panels are cheeeep. The rocker is good on that side, but the pas. side is rough. The bed is nice. It obviously had a topper on it.

I sent to jeep for build sheet info. It definitely has a D44 rear. Although nothing said you could not get a D44 rear on a SWB, I have already had two MJ "experts" tell me that it was either swapped in or it is a D35 and I am blind. LOL. See? It doesn't just happen on Liberty forums!!!

The Trac-loc actually still holds! I am shocked. I wish it was open, though. Easier to aussie-fy. A slight plus is 3.73's instead of the 3.55's that were standard. The vacuum disconnect locks in just fine and holds. It is pretty slow to release, which is normal. I will by-pass it and/or go to a 297-jointed axles. I have read ALOT and I am not willing to by that the HPD30 with 297's = a D44. The tubes are thinner, the axles lack 3 splines and are 20% thinner, and the ring gear is still 1.2" smaller. Well trussed, though, and I believe that the D44 is not worth the cost of the swap over a HPD30.

Not too long ago on Cincy CL, ThunderbirdJunkie spied a Rubicon front axle for $500, rotor to rotor, including locker and 4.10 gears

Even though it shares the wimpy D30 tubes and axleshafts, 500 bucks is a bargain compared to building up the stock D30

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks YJman!. It is in good enough shape that I am getting some grief for MJ guys for 'wheeling it...Oh well, it is a jeep. I took the KJ off-road for the first time in S/E OHio when it still had 30-day tags on it.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
incommando said:
It is in good enough shape that I am getting some grief for MJ guys for 'wheeling it...Oh well, it is a jeep. I took the KJ off-road for the first time in S/E OHio when it still had 30-day tags on it.

That's like saying "that lab is too pretty to go hunting." Jeeps are like hunting dogs, they are not truely happy unless they are left to roam free and do what they do best.

Nice MJ, I see you swapped the wheels

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
That's like saying "that lab is too pretty to go hunting." Jeeps are like hunting dogs, they are not truely happy unless they are left to roam free and do what they do best.

Nice MJ, I see you swapped the wheels

If you are referring to the wheeling pics, I have new 9/32-16 TSL's on KJ rims that I threw on the back for the trip. I left the 32-11.5 -15 AT's on the front.

Latest posts

Members online